Visiting on the Hill

MONDAY

Guest Speaker: Max Finberg

Details: Director of AmeriCorps Vista, Max Finberg, (LA '92), will discuss his work with the Federal anti-poverty program.

When and Where: 3:30 p.m., Dowling Hall 745

Sponsors: Jonathan M. Tisch College of Citizenship and Public Service, Peace and Justice Studies program, Career Center

WEDNESDAY

“Gender, Art, and the Reshaping of the Urban in Amman, Jordan”

Details:Aseel Sawalha, professor of anthropology at Fordham University, will discuss the cultural transformation of Amman, Jordan in recent years. Sawalha, who is also the author of "Reconstructing Beirut," will explore how women's voices have been increasingly present in the society.

When and Where: 6:30 p.m. – 8:00 p.m., Crane Room, Paige Hall

Sponsors: Middle Eastern Studies department, AS&E Diversity Fund, Anthropology department, American Studies program, Women Gender and Sexuality Studies (WGSS) program, LGBT Center

THURSDAY

"Mapping Stories of the City: Teaching Urban Environmental Justice"

Details: As a part of the Environmental Studies Program “Lunch and Learn” series, Lai Ying Yu,community organizer in Chinatown Boston, will discuss the intersections between storytelling and public perceptions of space and progress.

When and Where: 12 p.m. to 1 p.m., Rabb Room, Lincoln Filene Center

Sponsors: Environmental Studies Lunch and Learn Program, Tufts Institute of the Environment

The Audre Lorde Exhibit: Opening Ceremony”

Details: As the final showcase of the Lesbian Herstory Archives, Tufts LGBT Center presents the Audre Lorde Traveling Exhibit,” originally co-curated by Audre Lorde and Morgan Greenwald in the fall of 1990. Student group, the Rad Lez Kidz, which consists of junior Maya Zeigler, senior Vanessa Pinto, junior Arturo Munoz and junior Cecilia Petit, curates this final showing and will answer questions about the exhibit in a panel discussion after a viewing of the exhibit.

When and Where: 5:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m., LGBT Center

Sponsors: LGBT Center, Women’s Center, Africana Center, WGSS Program, Undergraduate Research Fund, Educational Studies, AS&E Diversity Fund

Correction: The original version of this post mistakenly wrote that the original curators of the Audre Lorde Exhibit, Audre Lorde and Morgan Greenwald, would be at Thursday's event to answer questions about the exhibit in a panel discussion. However, the original curators will not be at the opening ceremony -- the panel discussion will instead feature local curators, including the students listed above. The Daily regrets this error and acknowledges that the original post was disrespectful to the original curators, particularly Audre Lorde, who passed away in November 1992.