Norovirus outbreak strikes campus

Health Services sent out an email last night at 6:56 p.m. about an emergence of norovirus which has occurred this week on campus.

Norovirus can be spread through contact with an infected person, contaminated food, water or surfaces, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Symptoms of the highly-contagious intestinal virus include vomiting, diarrhea, nausea and body aches. The virus can also be spread via contact with fecal matter.

“Norovirus is not usually dangerous, but unfortunately it can make you feel miserable,” the email, written by Medical Director of Health Service Dr. Margaret Higham and Dean of Graduate and Undergraduate Students John Barker, read.

The emergence of the virus follows a norovirus outbreak that occurred last semester leading up to Homecoming Weekend, according to an Oct. 26, 2015 article in the Daily. At the time, approximately 20 athletes from Tufts football and field hockey teams fell ill, causing them to be absent from practice. According Higham, the virus spread to 13 field hockey team members after a trip the athletes took to Wesleyan University.

While the outbreak that occurred during the fall mainly affected athletic teams, the email noted that the current outbreak does not appear to have a common source. The email added that there is no evidence that the outbreak is related to food service on campus.

Hank Weinstock, Executive Director of Tufts Emergency Medical Services (TEMS), said that TEMS has witnessed cases of the outbreak today. Weinstock, a junior, could not confirm how many cases have been reported to TEMS at this time.

“We’ve seen a little bit of it with our patients, and we were told by Health Services that they’re seeing a bunch of it,” he said.

He recommended that students regularly wash their hands vigorously with soap and warm water.

“Wash your hands a lot and know that Purell does not kill the virus,” Weinstock said.