Police Briefs Feb. 1

Melted Plastic

The fire alarm went off at the Science and Technology Center on Jan. 4 at 2:30 p.m. A staff member was in the machine shop cutting a plastic piece, which began melting and appears to have created some smoke, triggering the smoke detector. The Medford Fire Department looked at the area and called for a system reset.

Broken Glass Pane

A staff member reported a broken glass pane on the Psychology Building front door on Jan. 7 at 8:30 a.m. This may have resulted from a projectile coming from the construction site across the street. The glass pane was photographed, and Facilities Services was alerted of the situation.

Throat Emergency

Someone called Tufts Emergency Medical Services (TEMS) at 8:30 p.m. on Jan. 25 on themselves under the impression that they were either choking or had food stuck in their throat. TEMS examined them and the person visited the hospital.

Stolen Belongings

A person reported stolen belongings at the Gantcher Family Sports & Convocation Center at 8 p.m. on Jan. 26. The individual had left these belongings in the bleachers and could not find them upon returning but did not see anyone suspicious there. The case is still being investigated.

Cooking Mishap

The fire alarm went off at Wren Hall as a result of a cooking mishap at 11:45 a.m. on Jan. 27. The person cooking thought that the pan was getting too hot, and thus removed the food from the pan and proceeded to pour water on it, which resulted in steam rising and the fire alarm sounding. The Medford Fire Department examined the area and called for a system reset.