Visiting the Hill this week

MONDAY

"An Evening with Temple Grandin: My Life with Animals"

Details: Dr. Temple Grandin, a professor of animal science and lecturer on autism and humane animal handling, will be giving a talk about the role that animals have had on her life and work. Grandin is also an author, activist and the subject of the 2010 HBO biopic film "Temple Grandin."

When and Where:6 p.m. to 8 p.m., Cohen Auditorium

Sponsors: Tufts Institute for Human-Animal Interaction, Center for Animals and Public Policy (CAPP), Office of Continuing Education, Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine, Center for Animals and Public Policy

"Dr. Maurice S. Segal Lecture: The Challenge of a Middle East in Flames"

Details: Stephen Hadley, the former assistant of National Security Affairs to President George W. Bush, will be speaking about the Middle East for the annual Maurice S. Segal Lecture. Hadley worked for several years under the Bush administrations on national security issues, including on relations between the United States and Russia, Israel's relationship to Gaza and the development of a strategic American relationship with India.

When and Where: 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m., ASEAN Lecture Hall, Cabot Intercultural Center

Sponsors: Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy, Tufts University Advancement

"AIDS Activism: Past, Present and Future"

Details: GlobeMed is hosting a panel discussion about AIDS activism for World AIDS Day, which falls on Dec. 1. The panel will feature Executive Director of the AIDS Action Committee Carl Sciortino, Outreach Manager at Fenway Health Coco Alinsug and Policy Coordinator at the AIDS Action Committee Grainne Griffiths.

When and Where: 8 p.m. to 9 p.m., Alumnae Lounge, Aidekman Arts Center

Sponsors: GlobeMed at Tufts

TUESDAY

"The Water, Forest, and Land Belong to Us: People, Property and Things in an Indian Forest"

Details: Anand P. Vaidya, an anthropology lecturer at Harvard University, will be speaking about the destruction of a forest village in Uttar Pradesh of northern India named Ramnagar and its relation to the 2011 Forest Rights Act. Vaidya argues that there are contradictory interpretations of the Forest Rights Act, which has implications for Ramnagar and the environment as a whole.

When and Where: 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m., Center for Humanities at Tufts Seminar Room, Fung House

Sponsors:Center for South Asian and Indian Ocean Studies

THURSDAY

"Does the Rise of China Threaten the United States?"

Details: Columbia University professor of political science Andrew Nathan will give a lecture on China's security strategy and what that means for U.S. interests. Nathan co-authored "China's Search for Security," and his field interests include Chinese politics and foreign policy, the comparative study of political participation and political culture and human rights.

When and Where: 5 p.m., Fung House

Sponsors: Center for Humanities at Tufts

"Intergenerational Trauma and the Science of Suffering"

Details: Panelists from various disciplines at Tufts will have a discussion on the intergenerational effects of trauma and how their research relates to a 2014 New Republic article "The Science of Suffering." These panelists will include assistant professor of history and Africana studies Kendra Field, professor of drama Barbara Grossman, Research Director at the Feinstein International Center Dyan Mazurana and professor of psychology Lisa Shin.

When and Where: 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m., Room 008, Barnum Hall

Sponsors: Initiative on Mass Atrocities and Genocide