Where you read it first | Tuesday, May 14, 2024

Visiting the Hill this week

MONDAY

"Voices from Solitary: Think Outside the Box"

Details: The event will focus on learning about solitary confinement in a human rights context, featuring a panel of speakers including John Artis, the co-defendant in the prominent case of Rubin "Hurricane" Carter, representatives from the LGBTQI prisoners' rights organization Black and Pink and more. The panel will present a discussion about the different experiences of solitary confinement and how to combat the practice of solitary confinement locally and globally.

When and Where: 7 p.m., Barnum Hall 008

Sponsors: Tufts Amnesty International, Institute of Global Leadership, Tisch College, Consortium of Studies in Race, Colonialism and Diaspora, Peace and Justice Studies, Tufts American Civil Liberties Union

TUESDAY

"Queer Life of Diaspora: Fatima El-Tayeb Talk"

Details: The event will feature Fatima El-Tayeb, a professor of African-American literature and culture at UC San Diego. El-Tayeb will be speaking about race from a non-Eurocentric perspective and will be addressing the notion of a colorblind Europe. El-Tayeb will challenge the idea of "post-racial" and will compare racialization in the U.S. and in Europe.

When and Where: 4:30 p.m. - 6:30 p.m., Interfaith Center 

Sponsors: Consortium of Studies in Race, Colonialism and Diaspora, LGBT Center

Alain Badiou: "Destinies of Finitude"

Details: Alain Badiou, a philosopher, writer, political activist and emeritus professor of philosophy at the École normale supérieure in Paris will give two lectures; one on Tuesday and one on Thursday at 7 p.m. in Cohen, the latter of which is about cinema in the contemporary world.

When and Where:6 p.m., Cohen Auditorium

Sponsors: Center for the Humanities at Tufts

WEDNESDAY

"The Heavenization of Earth: African American Visions and Uses of the Afterlife, 1863-1901"

Details: Kathryn Gin Lum, a Stanford University assistant professor in religious studies, will deliver a lecture. Her teaching and research has focused on the intersection of religion and race in America and the ramifications of religious beliefs.

When and Where12 - 1:15 p.m., Room 702, Cabot Intercultural Center

Sponsors:Department of Religion, Consortium of Studies in Race, Colonialism and Diaspora, American Studies, Africana Studies, SPIRIT Fund

"Kit Yan Slam Poetry"

Details: Brooklyn-based slam poet Kit Yan, whose work has been reviewed in publications such as New York Magazine and Hyphen, will perform poetry about his experiences as a queer, transgender Asian American. 

When and Where:8 p.m., Sophia Gordon Hall

Sponsors:LGBT Center, AS&E Diversity Fund, Asian American Center

FRIDAY

"Social Movements and the Black Intellectual Tradition: An Africana Symposium"

Details: This symposium on race, radical thought and activism will feature speakers such as Robin D.G. Kelley, Christina Greer, Seth Markle and Emery Wright. The itinerary includes a discussion by alumni about racial justice scholarship and activism after graduating from Tufts and two panels called "Roundtable on Social Media and Movements" and "Black Intellectual Traditions," followed by a keynote lecture by Kelley.

When and Where: 1:30 p.m. - 7:30 p.m., 51 Winthrop Street

Sponsors: Africana Studies, Consortium of Studies in Race, Colonialism and Diaspora, Center for the Study of Race and Democracy