Visiting on the Hill this week

Jeffsmithedited-400x600

MONDAY

"Fall 2015 Lyon & Bendheim Alumni Lecture Series"

Details: As a part of Tufts alumni-established Lyon & Bendheim Alumni Lecture Series, Emanuel Stern (LA '85) will be giving a lecture. Stern is the Managing Principal at the New York City-based real estate investment firm Tall Pines Capital, which Stern recently formed with Bradley A. Settleman.

When and Where: 7 p.m. to 9:30 p.m., Alumnae Hall

Sponsors: Tufts University Alumni Association, Tisch College

TUESDAY

"Tufts Environmental Alumni (TEA) Fall Speaker Series"

Details: Bruce Carlisle (LA'90, AG '94) will be featured at the TEA Fall Speaker Series, where he will speak about his time after Tufts and his environmental work. Carlisle is the director of the Massachusetts Coastal Zone Management, as well as a member of the Gulf of Maine Council on the Marine Environment and a member of the Northeast Regional Ocean Council.

When and Where: 5:30 p.m. - 7:30 p.m., Remis Sculpture Court, Aidekman Arts Center

Sponsor: Tufts Environmental Alumni

WEDNESDAY

"Nancy Bauer: How to Do Things with Pornography"

Details: Nancy Bauer, philosophy professor and dean of Academic Affairs for Arts and Sciences, will speak about what philosophy is and its role in everyday life. Her talk will model a new way to write philosophically about pornography, women’s self-objectification, hook-up culture and other contemporary phenomena.

When and Where: 3:30 p.m. - 5 p.m., Hirsch Reading Room, Tisch Library

Sponsor: Friends of Tufts Libraries

THURSDAY

"Mr. Smith Goes to Prison: What my year behind bars taught me about America's prison crisis"

Details: As part of a Frank C. Colcord event, former Democratic Missouri State Senator Jeffrey Smith will talk about his new book "Mr. Smith Goes to Prison" and his prescriptions on how to fix America’s prison system. Smith is also a professor at the Milano School of International Affairs, Management and Urban Policy at the New School.

When and Where: 6:30 p.m. - 8 p.m., Crane Room, Paige Hall

Sponsor: Department of Political Science

"Lost Antarctica: Drug Discovery in a Disappearing Land"

Details: As a part of the Environmental Studies Program Lunch and Learn lecture series, Dr. James McClintock, a polar and marine biology professor at the University of Alabama at Birmingham, will speak about how rapid environmental change in Antarctica is threatening biodiversity loss.

When and Where: 12 p.m. to 1 p.m., Rabb Room, Lincoln Filene Center

Sponsors: Environmental Studies Lunch and Learn Program, Tufts Institute of the Environment