Tufts alum Bill Richardson to return as Fletcher professor

Mike-Schinkel-via-Flickr

Tufts alumnus and former Governor of New Mexico Bill Richardson (LA ’70, F '71) will return to Tufts as a professor of practice at the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy next fall. Richardson will teach a class on diplomatic tradecraft.

Prior to his career as governor, Richardson was secretary of energy under President Bill Clinton and a congressman for New Mexico. He was also a Democratic presidential candidate in the 2008 election cycle.

According to the Fletcher School's policy on affiliated faculty appointments, a professor of practice designates a faculty member who has made distinct contributions to the public or private sector.

"Professors of practice should be able to bring to the students, on a continuing basis, the benefits of such experience," the policy reads. 

Academic Dean and Professor of International Law at Fletcher Ian Johnstone highlighted the vast perspective Richardson will bring to Fletcher students.

Governor Richardson is a renowned troubleshooter whose work in numerous hotspots -- from North Korea to Iraq to Sudan -- has earned him the nomination for the Nobel Peace Prize several times,” Johnstone said in a statement on the Fletcher School website. “Fletcher students will benefit from his first-hand experiences as they look forward to joining the ranks of accomplished alumni like him.”