Brian Tesser announced as sole TCU presidential candidate

2015-04-14-TCU-Brian-Tesser-Nomination-3471
4/14/15 – Medford/Somerville, MA – TCU Elections Committee chair Paige Newman holds a laptop with a Skype connection to presidential nominee Brian Tesser on Tuesday, Apr. 14, 2015. Tesser, currently abroad in Spain, accepted the nomination over Skype. (Evan Sayles / The Tufts Daily)

At the Tufts Community Union (TCU) Senate's nomination meeting, junior Brian Tesser was selected as the sole candidate for the position of TCU president for the 2015-2016 academic year. The meeting, which began at 9:00 p.m. on April 14, was held in Braker Hall 001.

The election for TCU President will take place next Tuesday, April 21, according to ECOM Chair Paige Newman, a junior.

Tesser, an economics and international relations double major who previously served as chair of the Senate's Student Outreach Committee last fall, is currently studying abroad in Madrid, Spain. Sophomore Katie Waymack will be managing Tesser's campaign.

In a nomination acceptance speech delivered via Skype, Tesser briefly noted that as TCU president he would be eager to engage with the Tufts community on a wide range of important issues.

"I have developed a platform to help guide me and the 2015-2016 Senate through tackling some of the biggest problems currently plaguing Tufts," he said. "From sexual assault to housing, and from academics to improving our community, I am eager to help guide Senate and the Tufts community towards meaningful progress."

Students will have two opportunities to talk with Tesser and share their views on the TCU Senate's agenda for next year, according to Newman. The first will take place on Thursday, April 16 in Pearson Chemical Laboratory room 104, and the second will be held on Monday, April 20 in Hotung Cafe. Both sessions will begin at 9:00 p.m, Newman said.

In a statement to the Daily, the Tufts Elections Commission (ECOM) explained that because Tesser is the only presidential candidate, this year's elections will operate slightly differently than in years past.

On the ballot, students will be able to select Tesser, write in another member of Senate or abstain. As in past elections, rank voting will be used to determine the winner, the statement said. Anyone with questions on how an uncontested election will proceed can contact ECOM via their email address, ecom@tufts.edu.