Visiting the Hill this week

MONDAY

"BME Seminar: Darren Roblyer"

Details: Darren Roblyer, of Boston University, will speak as part of the Biomedical Engineering Seminar Series.

When and Where: 10:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m., SciTech Center Room 136

Sponsor: School of Engineering

WEDNESDAY

"Advancing the frontiers of citizenship, finance and enterprise"

Details: A panel of experts will discuss the role of "impact investing" and social impact bonds in funding development projects in minimally capitalized communities around the world and in the United States. The panelists include Jeffrey Liebman, director of the Harvard Kennedy School's Social Impact Bond Laband former executive director of the Office of Management and Budget; Molly Baldwin, founder and CEO of Roca Inc., a non-profit for at-risk youth; and Jeff Shumway, vice president of advisory services at Social Finance. Brian Bethune of the Department of Economics will moderate.

When and Where: 3:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m., Lincoln Filene Center Rabb Room

Sponsors: Jonathan M. Tisch College of Citizenship and Public Service, School of Medicine, Department of Economics

"An Evening with Sayed Kashua"

Details: Palestinian-Israeli author Sayed Kashua will discuss his upcoming film "Borrowed Identity" (2014), which was adapted from his novel "Dancing Arabs" (2004) and tells the story of a Palestinian boy who attends a prestigious Israeli school in Jerusalem.

When and Where: 6:30 p.m., Granoff Music Center Room 115

Sponsors: Department of German, Russian, and Asian Languages and Literatures; A&S Diversity Fund; Charles Smith Endowment Fund; International Relations Program; Judaic Studies Program; Middle Eastern Studies Program; Department of Political Science; Department of Religion; Toupin-Bolwell Fund

"A Century of Oblivion"

Details: Claire Mouradian, a French historian of Armenian origin, will deliver a lecture to commemorate the centennial of the Armenian genocide. The lecture will be followed by a reception in the Ballou Hall Coolidge Room.

When and Where: 7:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m., Goddard Chapel

Sponsors: The Darakjian Jafarian Chair in Armenian History, Department of History, Tufts Armenian Club, National Association for Armenian Studies and Research

"The Global Struggle for Climate Justice"

Details: Three organizers from 350.org, an international environmental group that works to pressure government officials to reduce carbon dioxide emissions and to tackle climate change more broadly, will present on what Tufts community members can do to fight global warming. Senior Advisor and Co-founder Bill McKibben and regional coordinators Koreti Tiumalu and Ferriel Adam will join State Senator Ben Downing, a Tufts alum who wrote a Massachusetts state divestment bill. 

When and Where: 7:30 p.m. - 9:00 p.m., Pearson Chemical Laboratory Room 104

Sponsor: Tufts Climate Action

THURSDAY

"Let's Stop Giving Money to Only Those with Money: Using Psychometrics to Unleash Global Finance"

Details: Asim Khwaja, the Sumitomo-Foundation for Advanced Studies on International Development professor of international finance and development from the Harvard Kennedy School and the co-director of Evidence for Policy Design, a research team at Harvard, will deliver the 2015 Birger Lecture. 

When and Where: 6:00 p.m. - 7:30 p.m., 51 Winthrop St. 

Sponsor: Department of Economics

FRIDAY

"Shakespeare and Nietzsche on Rome and Christianity"

Details: Paul Cantor, the Clifton Waller Barrett Professor in the English department at the University of Virginia, will speak.

When and Where: 12:00 p.m. - 1:30 p.m., Paige Hall Terrace Room

Sponsor: Department of Political Science, Department of Classics