Visiting the Hill this week

MONDAY

"BME Seminar: Frank Vollmer"

Details: Frank Vollmer of the Max-Planck Institute in Germany will speak as part of the Biomedical Engineering Seminar Series.

When and Where: 10:00 a.m. -- 11:00 a.m., SciTech Center Room 136.

Sponsor: School of Engineering.

"ME Seminar: Peter Hancock, University of Central Florida"

Details: Peter Hancock of the University of Central Floridawill speak on "Transports of Delight: How Technology Conveys Us to New Realms of Being" as part of the Mechanical Engineering Seminar Series.

When and Where: 3:00 p.m. -- 4:00 p.m., Nelson Auditorium (Anderson Hall room 112).

Sponsor: School of Engineering.

TUESDAY

"Artist Talk - Gabriel Martinez"

Details: Gabriel Martinez, senior lecturer in the Department of Fine Arts at the University of Pennsylvania’s School of Design, will discuss his work, which primarily involves photography, performance and installation, investigating themes such as loss, queer identities and male heterosexuality.

When and Where: 6:15 p.m. -- 7:45 p.m., Aidekman Arts Center Art Gallery.

Sponsor: Tufts University Art Gallery.

WEDNESDAY

"UEP Colloquium: Alumni Panel Discussion - 'Memories of Mayor Thomas Menino'"

Details: A group of Tufts alumni will discuss the impact of the late former Mayor of Boston Thomas Menino.

When and Where: 12:00 -- 1:15 p.m., Sophia Gordon Hall Multipurpose Room.

Sponsor: Department of Urban & Environmental Policy & Planning.

"Exceptional Empire? The United States and the Turn from Colonialism in the Twentieth Century"

Details: Julian Go, professor of sociology at Boston University, will discuss the United States' shift in empire-building from acquiring territory at the turn of the twentieth century to more informal, non-territorial means.

When and Where: 4:30 -- 6:00 p.m., Alumnae Lounge.

Sponsors: Consortium of Studies in Race, Colonialism and Diaspora, Department of History, Department of Sociology, the Toupin-Bolwell Fund.

THURSDAY

"ME Seminar: Rob Wood"

Details: Rob Wood of Harvard University will talk about "Very Small Flying Robots" as part of the Mechanical Engineering Seminar Series.

When and Where: 3:00 -- 4:00 p.m., Nelson Auditorium (Anderson Hall room 112).

Sponsor: School of Engineering.

"Masha Gessen: 'Putin's War Against the West'"

Details: Author Masha Gessen will discuss her work on Russia and Russian President Vladimir Putin. She will be presented with a Dr. Jean Mayer Global Citizenship Award.

When and Where: 7:00 p.m., Pearson Chemical Laboratory Room 104.

Sponsors: Center for the Humanities at Tufts, Institute for Global Leadership.

FRIDAY

"VENTURING: The Tufts Entrepreneurs’ Symposium"

Details: The Tufts Entrepreneurs’ Symposium will kick off a two-day conference featuring insights from industry founders and investors.

When and Where: 9:00 a.m., Perry and Marty Granoff Music Center and Cabot Intercultural Center.

Sponsors: Tufts Office for Technology Licensing & Industry Collaboration,the Gordon Institute’s Entrepreneurial Leadership Program, Center for Engineering and Education Outreach, Entrepreneurial Alumni Network, Tufts Social Impact Network, Jonathan M. Tisch College of Citizenship and Public Service, The Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy.