TCU Senate Update

The Tufts Community Union (TCU) Senate spent the majority of its meeting this past Monday discussing issues of student life and club funding.

TCU Parlimentarian Gauri Seth, a sophomore, opened the meeting with a resolution to establish a mandated gender-neutral bathroom for future construction projects on campus, which the Senate unanimously approved 20-0-0. Seth then outlined the opening of the bylaws in the next week’s meeting, which will assess the relationship between Senate and the Tufts Community Union Judiciary (TCUJ).

Vice President Matt Roy, a senior, next opened the floor for updates from Senate Trustee representatives. The first update discussed the reconstructing of memorial steps, acquiring a new power plant and updating facilities for engineers.

The second update dealt with the current off-campus housing situation, in which students trying to live off-campus are faced with high rent and zoning issues. Senior Joe Philipson, a Trustee representative, presented a new initiative to establish a four-year residential institution to bring students closer to campus and allow easy access to campus resources.

The last update discussed fundraising and a speaker from Tufts Economics Society, who will give the Trustees a short presentation on Mar. 25.

TCU Treasurer Adam Kochman, a junior, began his treasurer's report with a series of requests for funding from various groups. The first group, Baseball Analysis at Tufts, requested $1846.24, which the Senate approved by a vote of 16-0-2. The second group TURBO, a breakdance/hip-hop group, requested $1712, which the Senate approved by a vote of 11-7-0.

Consent Culture Network requested $500, Applejam Productions requested $3000, and the Pan African Alliance requested $3000, all of which the Senate approved by acclimation.The Catholic Community at Tufts requested $455.39, which was approved by a vote of 18-0-1. The Tufts chapters of the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) and the American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AICHE) together requested $850 in funding, which the Senate approved by a vote of 17-0-2.

The Senate, however, unanimously denied S-Factor and Tufts China Care their funding requests.

Last on the agenda was TCU Senate’s funding request of $560.98, which was approved by a vote of 15-1-2.

After the lengthy session of fund requests, the TCUJ informed the Senate of recent changes to the bylaws as part of recent attempts to fortify working relationships between the Senate and the Judiciary.

TCU Senate President Robert Joseph, a senior, concluded the meeting with updates on the New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) conference, which is scheduled for Feb. 28.