Student protesters read an announcement during a direct action against racial injustice in Dewick-MacPhie Dining Hall on Dec. 1. Nicholas Pfosi / The Tufts Daily

Students hold actions in dining halls, chant “Black Lives Matter”

Approximately 30 Tufts students came together for an action in Dewick-MacPhie Dining Center around 12:30 p.m. yesterday. The students formed to speak out against racial injustice both on Tufts’ campus and beyond.

The students entered the dining center repeatedly chanting, “Black lives matter.”

“We indict Tufts University,” the students yelled. “This is a reactionary effort against continued injustice.”

The students, carrying a banner, formed two groups to speak out in both of the major rooms of the dining center.

“Black lives are being devalued and demonized,” the students yelled. “You say #AllLivesMatter. We say #BlackLivesMatter.”

Students also repeated this action at Carmichael Dining Hall around 6:00 p.m.

7 Responses

1. Josh
    Dec 02, 2014 - 12:19 AM

Doing this at one of the most liberal universities in the country isn’t exactly going to change anything, but by all means, keep trying to convince all 0 people here who disagree with you

• Guest
      Dec 10, 2014 - 03:45 PM

There are actually a shocking number of people here who disagree

2. Albino Squirrel
    Dec 02, 2014 - 08:18 AM

pretty sure all lives matter, not just one color.

and i can think of no better way to alienate me from your cause than to disrupt my life in some way. negative behavior will always polarize me against you, whether i agree with your cause or not.

• Peter
      Jan 20, 2015 - 03:11 AM

wow and with so many upvotes.

Here’s how you come across: ” How dare you alienate me from the cause of freedom by saying something I find slightly offensive or by shouting in the dining hall. If you didn’t say that I would definitely help you assure that those who kill our black brothers and sisters are held accountable. If you hadn’t disrupted my meal I would be standing side by side with you. Since you have done these great crimes, I’m going to remain silent and tacitly let the violence continue.”

Dr. King said that the white moderate was the greater stumbling black than the most bitter racist. Please realize that your complaints are insignificant to the fact that black lives are “disrupted” every day by constant state-sanctioned harassment and violence. Wake up.

• Albino Squirrel
        Jan 29, 2015 - 03:11 PM

keep turning me off, buddy.

• You Wont Like It
        May 09, 2016 - 04:39 PM

I up voted because Tufts produces nitwits that chain themselves to cement barrels in the middle of highways disrupting everyones lives … if they really cared about black lives they would go into the communities teach the ones who cant read to read and help out in humanitarian ways … meaningless outrage is just that meaningless …

3. You Wont Like It
    May 09, 2016 - 04:23 PM

Children with meaningless lives indoctrinated into a way of thinking by malcontent Professors with anti-American chips on their shoulders … Life will be hard for this generation … Just being educationally ill-prepared for the world and raped financially by Big Education and their Government counterparts will produce a generation for the first time in America history that WONT be better off then their parents …