Tufts students protest IDF lieutenant colonel’s lecture at Fletcher

Around 20 students protested with a "die-in" before Shamir-Borer's lecture at The Fletcher School. Evan Sayles / The Tufts Daily

A group of around 20 Tufts students, almost all dressed in black and wearing keffiyehs, came together to protest a lecture by Israeli Defense Forces Lieutenant Colonel Eran Shamir-Borer during his visit to campus on Monday morning for a lecture sponsored by the International Security Studies Program at The Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy. The protesters described Shamir-Borer as a “genocide apologist.”

The students gathered outside The Fletcher School at 11:30 a.m. before entering Cabot Intercultural Center through the Edwin Ginn Library. Upon entering Cabot around 11:40, the students lay down on the lobby floor to perform a “die-in,” symbolizing Palestinian deaths in Operation Protective Edge over the summer. Police officials required that the students move to accommodate a safe pathway through the lobby. One of the protesters periodically explained the cause of the protest, counting down until Shamir-Borer’s lecture at noon.

Outside, other protesters read aloud the names of Palestinians killed in the Gaza Strip during the conflict between Israel and Gaza this summer. The die-in continued until around 12:15 p.m., when the indoor protesters joined their peers outside.