Visiting the Hill this week

MONDAY

In Their Own Hands: How Savings Groups are Revolutionizing Development

Details: Jeffrey Ashe, a research fellow at the Global Development and Environment Institute, will discuss how savings groups can help the two-and-a-half billion people worldwide who are too poor and live in rural areas to be served by traditional financial institutions.

When and Where: 12:30 - 1:30 p.m., 44 Teele Ave., 3rd floor conference room

Sponsor: Global Development and Environment InstituteLyon & Bendheim Alumni Lecture Series

Details: Neil Blumenthal (LA '02),co-founder and co-CEO of Warby Parker, an eyewear designer, will be giving the lecture.

When and Where: 6 - 7:30 p.m., Cabot ASEAN Auditorium

Sponsors: Tufts University Alumni Association, Tufts Gordon Institute, Tufts Entrepreneurial Leadership Program"Winter, Go Away!" Film Screening and Discussion on the Russian Protest Movement with Anna Moiseenko

Details: "Winter, Go Away!" (2012) is a Russian film made by ten young documentarians sent by Novaya Gazeta and Moscow's School for Documentary Film and Theater to chronicle the protest movement against Vladimir Putin's government in early 2012. Anna Moiseenko, one of the ten directors, will answer questions after the screening.

When and Where: 8 - 10:30 p.m., Tisch Library, Room 304

Sponsor: Center for the Humanities at Tufts

TUESDAY

A Conversation with Jennifer De Leon

Details: Jennifer De Leon, editor of "Wise Latinas: Writers on Higher Education," a collection of pieces about the Latina college experience, will read from the book and talk about the issues facing Latinas in higher education.

When and Where: 4:30 - 5:45 p.m., Balch Arena Theater

Sponsors: Latino Center, English Department, Women's Center, Lambda Pi Chi SororityTisch College Distinguished Speaker Series: Kathleen Sebelius, Former Secretary of Health and Human Services

Details: Kathleen Sebelius, who served as secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services from 2009 until April 2014, during which time she supported passage of the Affordable Care Act and oversaw services to help families during the economic crisis, will discuss healthcare and healthcare policy.

When and Where: 5 - 6:30 p.m., Cabot ASEAN Auditorium

Sponsors: Jonathan M. Tisch College of Citizenship and Public Service, the School of Dental Medicine, the Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy, the School of Medicine, Tufts Clinical and Translational Science Institute, the Office of the ProvostThe Work of Waste: Inside Urban India's Infra-EconomyDetails: Vinay Gidwani, associate professor in the Department of Geography, Environment and Society and Institute for Global Studies at the University of Minnesota, will present a lecture about work, poverty, livelihoods and agro-ecological change in the context of India.

When and Where: 5:30 - 7:30 p.m., Fung House, first floor

Sponsor: Tufts Center for South Asian and Indian Ocean StudiesMusic and Poetry from Russian Activist, Kirill Medvedev

Details: Kirill Medvedev, Russian poet and activist, will provide samples of his work.

When and Where: 6:45 p.m., Distler Performance Hall, Perry and Marty Granoff Music CenterSponsors: Center for the Humanities at Tufts, Jonathan M. Tisch College of Citizenship and Public Services, the Institute for Global Leadership

THURSDAY

Struggles of being a Woman in Society and Cinema

Details: Nandita Das, Indian actress and director, will lead the discussion.

When and Where: 5:30 - 7:30 p.m., Cabot Intercultural Center, Room 206

Sponsor: Tufts Center for South Asian and Indian Ocean StudiesThe Fall 2014 Gifford Lecture

Details: Marie-Anick Gervais-Zaninger will present a lecture in French, titled "Territoires du féminin dans 'Capitale de la douleur' de Paul Eluard."When and Where: 6 - 7 p.m., Cabot Intercultural Center LobbySponsor: Department of Romance LanguagesInclusive Growth: Ensuring Prosperity Reaches Africa's Bottom of the PyramidDetails: Donald Kaberuka, president of the African Development Bank, will present. When and Where: 6 - 7:30 p.m., Cabot ASEAN AuditoriumSponsors: The Institute of Business in the Global Context, Fletcher Africana Club

FRIDAY

Fear in the Revolutionary Americas, 1776-1865

Details: Various scholars will discuss the role of fear in revolutions and counter-revolutions across the Americas. Alan Taylor, professor at the University of Virginia, and David Geggus, professor at the University of Florida, will give the keynote lectures. 

When and Where: 9 a.m. - 6 p.m., Ballou Hall, Coolidge Room

Sponsors: Center for the Humanities at Tufts, Department of History, Center for the Study of Race and Democracy, Latin American Studies, Department of Romance Languages