TCU Senate Update

In an exceptionally short meeting this week, the Tufts Community Union (TCU) Senate listened to reports by its various committees and reviewed the allocation of funds to a number of student organizations.

The meeting kicked off with a call to order and a rundown of updates from each of Senate’s committee chairs, including those of Education, Administration and Policy, Services and Student Outreach.

Education Committee Co-Chair Sam Berzok began by explaining the group’s progress in bringing to fruition individual project ideas, including that of senior Michael Maskin, who proposed a sort of co-op living arrangement for the Tufts community. Berzok, a junior, said that the feasibility of this project, as well as of others, would be discussed in further detail next week.

Ramiro Sarabia, also co-chair of the Education Committee, reported plans to meet with Experimental College faculty early this week to propose the addition of business classes to their roster. These new courses would be specifically geared toward entrepreneurship and computer science, according to Sarabia, a sophomore.

Student Outreach Committee Chair Brian Tesser then described preliminary ideas for TCU’s annual Senate Leadership Dinner.

“Two leaders from each student group on campus come together with a new theme or goal in mind,” Tesser, a junior, said. “The goal changes from year to year and has not yet been solidified for 2014, but we are accepting submissions and ideas.”

Various members of Senate also discussed upcoming plans to post a large physical space or board detailing their Senate updates. This would include a roster of everyone on each committee, a spotlight for particular members and weekly ideas and would be located in Tisch Library or the Mayer Campus Center.

Co-Chair of the  Services Committee Janna Karatas discussed an effort with Director of Dining and Business Services Patti Klos to keep students informed of improvements to the Commons Deli and Grill and student spaces in line with Tufts Strategic Plan. Karatas, a junior, said this includes a requirement for all new buildings to have a space for dining, working and students and professors' hosting meetings.

According to Karatas,Klos said to expect the re-opening of the Commons around Dec. 1 and a return of late-night dining in the first or second week of next semester.

Senate finalized its committee updates by making clear that students going abroad in the upcoming semester are not eligible to serve on a student-faculty committee.

The Allocations Board then reported that it had received requests from student clubs and organizations, beginning with a cappella group Essence, which was allocated $100 for food and reserving microphones.

Tufts VOX was then approved for a total of $12 for advertising, but was denied its request for $471 worth of sex supplies, fliers, condoms, ribbons, tape and food, which would have gone toward promotion for speaker Oh Megan! According to TCU Teasurer Adam Kochman, a junior,VOX was not awarded this money due to TCU’s inability to fund giveaways.

Senate voted in favor of $4,081.78 for Tufts University Television to help with its lack of electronic equipment, administrative supplies and safe storage. Applejam was also awarded $2,000 to host an event later in the semester.

TCU closed its meeting by announcing it had granted official recognition to a few new student groups, including Parnassus, a literary journal, and Another Option, which offers weekend alternatives to the party scene on campus.