Tufts Mock Trial competes at Penn State

Last weekend, Tufts Mock Trial (TMT) sent two teams to compete at Pennsylvania State University's seventh annual Happy Valley Invitational Tournament in State College, Pa. Team Kurland, led by senior Anna Lyons and junior Katie Grosch, took third place out of the 26 competing teams with a record of six wins and two losses, according to TMT External Affairs Officer Eve Feldberg.

Team Sokol, led by senior Nick Teleky and junior Will Lorenzen, finished with a record of four wins and four losses, according to Feldberg, a sophomore. Team Sokol also earned a win against American University, which went on to win first place in the tournament.

Team Sokol also faced teams from the University of North Carolina, the University of Georgia and Johns Hopkins University. Team Kurland faced teams from Drexel University, Elon University, the University of Maryland and the University of Georgia.

Senior Claire Parsons won an 18 rank award for her role as a plaintiff attorney, and first-year Kelsey Ames won a 17 rank award for her role as a witness on the defense, Feldberg said.

Both teams were comprised of students of varying levels of seniority and experience, from first-years with no mock trial experience to seniors who are nationally ranked, Feldberg said.

Lyons said she believes Tufts' teams worked hard and performed well at the tournament.

"We have a variety of different skill levels on every team, so I'm extremely proud of whatever we were able to do last weekend," she said.