Police Briefs

Drugging lot

At 3:50 p.m. on Oct. 7, the Tufts University Police Department (TUPD) received a call reporting the discovery of an empty syringe in the Edison Ave. parking lot. TUPD speculated that the syringe may have been used for ingesting illegal drugs.

Roof Hangout

At 12:30 a.m. on Oct. 9, TUPD officers removed a group of three people found on the roof of Richardson House. Only one of the students was a resident of Richardson.

Couch Potato

An intoxicated student in Haskell Hall was reported to TUPD at 10:59 p.m. on Oct. 10. The student was discovered on a couch and subsequently transported to the hospital.

Vodka Visitor

At 2:28 a.m. on Oct. 11, an intoxicated non-Tufts student in Tilton Hall was reported to TUPD. She told officers that she was visiting a friend at Tufts. She had imbibed four shots of vodka in Tilton before going to a fraternity party, where she reported having also had one beer. TUPD officers confiscated a bottle of vodka that they discovered in the room of the Tufts friend.

PayPiracy

A student reported an incident involving eBay to TUPD at 4 p.m. on Oct. 11. The student explained that he had tried to sell his MacBook Pro on eBay. After selling the laptop for $635, the student received an email instruction from the purported buyer of the computer, asking him to ship the item to California using the United States Postal Service. The student next reported receiving an email supposedly from PayPal, informing him that he had been paid $785 for the laptop. After shipping the item, he came to the realization that the $785 PayPal payment was fraudulent. The student therefore received no money for the laptop he had already shipped. TUPD officers explained that this is a common type of eBay scam and the stolen laptop will be impossible to track.

Laptop Looting

TUPD received a report at 1:30 p.m. on Oct. 13 of two stolen laptops from the Delta Upsilon fraternity. A related incident was also reported to TUPD at 1:15 p.m. by the mother of a non-Tufts student visiting the university. She explained that her son had also been to Delta Upsilon the previous night and his iPhone had been stolen. Using the iPhone’s tracking app, the son had tracked the stolen phone to a house in Methuen, Mass. Methuen police went to the address and recovered the iPhone. The owner of the house in Methuen claimed he had visited Tufts the previous night and had found the phone in the grass. Another laptop was reported to TUPD as stolen from 14 Sawyer Ave. sometime during the same night. Yet another student reported to TUPD on the same day that his laptop was missing. He had left the laptop in his residence on College Ave. on Saturday, Oct. 11, and discovered it to be missing upon returning on Monday.

Missing Wallet

At 12:47 p.m. on Oct. 14, a student's wallet was stolen in Tisch Library. She reported to TUPD that she had hung her backpack on a coat hanger while she used the bathroom. As she was in the bathroom, she heard another person enter and leave. Upon exiting the bathroom, her wallet was missing from her backpack.