Visiting the Hill this week

MONDAY

Will Singapore Become a Liberal Democracy?

Details: Kenneth Paul Tan, vice dean and associate professor at the National University of Singapore's Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy, will discuss Singapore's political situation after the General Elections in 2011 and talk about the outlook toward Singapore's future democratization process.

When and Where: 12 - 1 p.m., Crane Room, Paige Hall

Sponsors: Tufts Singapore Students Association, International Relations Director's Leadership Council, Department of German, Russian, and Asian Languages and Literatures, the Fletcher Association of Southeast Asian Nations Society

The Role of Women in the 2014 Midterm Elections

Details: Kathleen Dolan, professor and chair of the Department of Political Science at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, will talk about female candidates and congressional elections.

When and Where: 12 p.m., Barnum Hall, Room 104

Sponsor: Department of Political Science

Bridgewater Associates: Where Are We in the Global Economy?

Details: The Fletcher Finance Club will host Bruce Steinberg, senior investment associate and head of credit markets research at Bridgewater Associates, an investment management firm, to discuss current events in the global economy and the outlook for 2015. 

When and Where: 7 - 8 p.m., Barnum Hall, Room 104

Sponsors: Fletcher Finance Club, Tufts Career Center, Tufts Finance Group

Responding to Terrorism: Do we have to bomb ISIS? Discussion and screening featuring Oliver Stone and Peter Kuznick

Details: Oliver Stone, film director, and colleague Peter Kuznick will screen the last episode of their ten-part documentary series, "The Untold History of the United States," which looks at the Bush and Obama administrations' policies toward terrorism. The screening will be followed by a discussion about the Islamic State and the current state of affairs in Syria and Iraq.

When and Where: 7 - 8:30 p.m., Cabot ASEAN Auditorium

Sponsor: Jonathan M. Tisch College of Citizenship and Public Service's Distinguished Speakers Series, Dean’s Office, the School of Arts and Sciences, Toupin-Bolwell Fund, Department of Sociology, Peace and Justice Studies, Department of Political Science,International Relations Program, Center of Interdisciplinary Studies, Consortium of Studies in Race, Colonialism, and Diaspora, Film Production Group, Department of History 

Turkey's Shifting Identity

Details: Tufts New Initiative for Middle East Peace will host a discussion on the current political and social conditions in Turkey in light of current conflicts in the country.

When and Where: 8 p.m., Braker Hall, Room 222

Sponsor: Tufts New Initiative for Middle East Peace

TUESDAY

Impact Investing Workshop: Tips of the Trade

Details: Shaun Paul, expert in the impact investment industry, will discuss the impact investing sector and lead an exercise on the decision-making process of such investments. 

When and Where: 1 - 2:30 p.m., Cabot Intercultural Center, Room 702

Sponsors: Global Development And Environment Institute, Fletcher Net Impact

Performing Your Life

Details: Jeffrey Tambor, award-winning actor, will discuss his own experience as an actor and provide his advice to the artist within.

When and Where: 7 p.m., Cohen Auditorium

Sponsor: Tufts Entertainment Board

WEDNESDAY

Leadership Is African, Is Female, Is Muslim Woman

Details: Pearl Robinson, associate professor of political science, will discuss feminist research methodology and the documentary-making of the leader of a Sufi Muslim women's movement in West Africa.

When and Where: 4:30 - 6 p.m., Lincoln Filene Center, Rabb Room

Sponsor: Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies

Storytelling and the Modern World

Details: Jonathan Franzen, author of four novels, a memoir and a bestselling collection of essays, will lead the discussion.

When and Where: 5:30 - 7 p.m., Cabot ASEAN Auditorium

Sponsor: Center for the Humanities at Tufts

Ebola Outbreak: Causes and Consequences at a Global Scale

Details: Part two of Tufts' One-Health series on Ebola, Joia Mukherjee, chief medical officer of Partners in Health, will provide the keynote lecture on the Ebola outbreak in West Africa, followed by a faculty panel discussion.

When and Where: 7 - 9 p.m., Cohen Auditorium 

Sponsors: The Office of the President, the Office of the Provost, the Office of the Dean of Arts and Sciences, the Toupin-Bolwell Fund, Community Health Program, Environmental Studies Program, International Relations Program, Department of Biology, Center of Interdisciplinary Studies, Tufts Institute of the Environment

THURSDAY

AP Photographer Elise Amendola

Details: AP Photographer Elise Amendola will speak about sports photography.

When and Where: 3 - 4 p.m., Anderson 212

Sponsors: Tufts Daily Photo Department

FRIDAY

The Anatomy of Violence: The Biological Roots of Crime

Details: Adrian Raine, Richard Perry university professor of criminology, psychology and psychiatry at the University of Pennsylvania, will talk about subjects including the interaction between different factors predisposing people to crime and biological treatments for aggressive and antisocial behavior.

When and Where: 10 a.m. - 12 p.m., Barnum Hall, Room 008

Sponsor: Department of Psychology