Nurse at Tufts Medical Center receives award

Debbie Mitchell-Dozier, a nurse in Tufts Medical Center's (MC) Division of Nephrology, was recognized by Nurse.com as one of six national winners of the 2014 Giving Excellence Meaning (GEM) Award for the Home, Community and Ambulatory Care category on Sept. 11.

Tufts MC Chief Nursing Officer Terry Hudson-Jinks said that she believes Mitchell-Dozier deserved the GEM Award because of her deep commitment to her patients.

“She is 24/7, full throttle, patients-first in every way, shape and form in her life, which really makes her just exceptional to us," she said. "We find that quite extraordinary, and we just love that. So did the judges. We really see her as a true, individual, shining example for all of us.”

Hudson-Jinks explained that Mitchell-Dozier is the first member of Tufts MC to claim national recognition for this award. Mitchell-Dozier has been a nephrology nurse for 20 years and a member of Tufts MC for more than nine years, where she works to educate patients about kidney disease, dialysis and transplant options, Hudson-Jinks noted.

Nurse.com has been in the business of recognizing extraordinary nurses for almost 30 years, according to Eileen Williamson, senior vice president and chief nurse executive at Nurse.comWilliamson explained that each year, 54 finalists are selected from nine geographical regions. Of these 54, six national winners are chosen to represent the six different categories.

Williamson noted that there are many awards designed to honor nurses, but Nurse.com’s program differentiates itself with its peer nomination system.

“We are very unique in the fact that our nurses of excellence are nominated by nurses, selected by nurses and then celebrated in the company of their nursing colleagues, because we believe that nurses are in the best position to recognize excellence among their peers,” she said.

Executive Director of Patient Care Services at Tufts MC Heidi Waitkus said she nominated Mitchell-Dozier for her extreme devotion to her field.

“She is very passionate about what she does,” she said. “She was a donor for a kidney to a complete stranger.”

Mitchell-Dozier explained that her family history with kidney disease, as well as her background with dialysis patients, gave her personal knowledge about the impact a transplant can have on a patient.

“These patients are in a situation where either they get a transplant, or for the rest of their lives they are dependent on dialysis," she said. "Seeing the impact of patients who ... had a successful transplant, I always wanted to make that difference in someone’s life”

Meeting a pastor diagnosed with kidney failure in 2012 gave her an opportunity to experience firsthand the process of donation. Though the pastor was a stranger at the time, Mitchell-Dozier said that donating a kidney to him allowed her to become even more deeply connected to the patients she works with.

She also cited Andrew Levey, chief of the Division of Nephrology, as a source of inspiration for her decision to donate.

“In 2008, while working here, I witnessed the department chief donate a kidney, and that kind of sparked [inspiration] for me as well,” Mitchell-Dozier said.

She added that she had not anticipated the reaction and support that she received from Tufts MC surrounding her donation or her receipt of the GEM Award.

“I’m blown away, to tell the truth,” Mitchell-Dozier said. “I’ve always loved being a nurse. It has always been important to me, and it’s been my privilege to work with patients."

Levey praised Mitchell-Dozier’s work at the clinic and the contributions she has made to Tufts MC, as well as her important role in patient care.

“The thing I am most impressed with is how Debbie has put together a program where we educate patients who are nearing the stage of kidney failure about their options for treatment," he said. "She explains to them in clear terms the things they have to do and the choices they get to make."

Hudson-Jinks echoed this sentiment, noting that Mitchell-Dozier’s quality care made the patients feel comfortable despite their illness and provided them with trustworthy support during treatment. She also commended Mitchell-Dozier’s relationship with other staff members.

“She brings out the best in everybody,” she said.