Visiting the Hill this week

MONDAY

Granoff Music Center Colloquium Series: “Music, Mediation, and Post-Secular Religion"

Details: Jeffers Engelhardt, associate professor of music at Amherst College, will present the program's first colloquium of the semester.

When and Where: 12 - 1:30 p.m., Varis Lecture Hall, Perry and Marty Granoff Music Center

Sponsor: Department of Music

The Power of We: The Role of Business in Solving Society's Challenges

Details: Jonathan Tisch will lead a lecture on the role of business today.

When and Where: 12:30 - 1:30 p.m., Mugar 200

Sponsor: The Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy

Against the Odds -- Economic Development in Myanmar

Details: David Dapice, associate professor of economics at Tufts, will lead a discussion on economic development in Myanmar.

When and Where: 6 - 7 p.m., Murrow Room, Goddard 210

Sponsor: International Relations Program

Congressman Michael Capuano: With Test Resistance Rising Nationwide, What’s Next for Federal Education Policy?

Details: Congressman Michael Capuano (D-Mass.) will host a discussion on federal education policy.

When and Where: 6 - 8 p.m., Distler Hall, Perry and Marty Granoff Music Center

Sponsors: Jonathan M. Tisch College of Citizenship and Public Service, Citizens for Public Schools

Memory Works: The Politics of Art and Memory

Details: Tufts Hillel's Moral Voices Program, the Institute for Global Leadership and the Latin American Studies Program will host a lecture and presentation by Marcelo Brodsky, Argentina's leading human rights photographer and conceptual artist.

When and Where: 8 - 9:20 p.m., Downstairs Chapel, Granoff Family Hillel Center

Sponsors: Tufts Hillel Moral Voices, Institute for Global Leadership, Latin American Studies

TUESDAY

Low Emissions Development in an Era of Cheap and Abundant Fossil Fuels

Details: The Stockholm Environment Institute-U.S. Center will host a discussion on how to protect the planet from climate change, focusing on the role of fossil fuel lock-in risks, the implications for poverty alleviation in forgoing fossil fuel production and the growth of Low Emissions Development Strategies.

When and Where: 1 - 4:00 p.m., 51 Winthrop St.

Sponsor: Stockholm Environment Institute-U.S. Center

SURGE: Economic Cooperation Between the US and China

Details: Kathleen DeBoer, deputy head of the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development's Washington Center, will discuss economic cooperation between the United States and China.

When and Where: 8 p.m., Cabot Intercultural Center, Room 205

Sponsor: Sino-US Relations Group Engagement

WEDNESDAY

Art, Politics and Human Rights: A Conversation with Marcelo Brodsky

Details: Marcelo Brodsky, Argentina’s leading human rights photographer and conceptual artist, will speak.

When and Where: 12 - 1:30 p.m., Chase Dining Hall, Carmichael Hall

Sponsors: Latin American Studies, Department of Anthropology, Department of Drama and Dance, Department of History, International Literary and Visual Studies, International Relations Program, Peace and Justice Studies, Department of Political Science, Department of Romance Languages, Department of Sociology, Consortium of Studies in Race, Colonialism and Diaspora, the Center for Interdisciplinary Studies, the Toupin-Bolwell Fund for the Arts

Securing Affordable Housing in Hot Market Areas Conference

Details: The Four Massachusetts Planning Schools (4P) and the Massachusetts American Planning Association (MassAPA) Annual Conference will take place at Tufts this year. Rachel Bratt, a professor of urban and environmental policy and planning, will deliver the keynote address.

When and Where: 4:30 - 7 p.m., Cabot ASEAN Auditorium

Sponsor: Department of Urban and Environmental Policy and Planning

EU After the Great Recession

Details: Michael Quinn, professor of economics at Bentley University, will discuss the future of the EU in light of current issues the union is facing.

When and Where: 5:45 -- 7 p.m., Mugar 200

FRIDAY

The United States and Greece

Details: David Pearce, U.S. ambassador to Greece, will present on the history of diplomatic relations and current issues involving the United States and Greece.

When and Where: 12:30 - 2 p.m., Chase Dining Hall, Carmichael Hall