Police Briefs

Check Scam On Sept. 25 a student reported to Tufts University Police Department (TUPD) at 11:30 p.m. that he had been attempting to sell a pool table on Craigslist for $300. He had been in contact with two people who wanted to buy the table, and he eventually decided to sell it to one of them. However, the other potential customer informed the student that he would be sending a check regardless for $1,850. The student was further told to cash the check, keep $100 and return the remainder of the cash to the sender. When the student reported these strange instructions to TUPD, he was informed that this was a common type of scam, in which an illegal check is sent to an unsuspecting person. After the victim cashes the check and mails the money to the perpetrator, it is the victim who is punished for cashing a bad check, while the perpetrator makes a profit.

Minor Problem On Sept. 26 at 11:34 p.m. TUPD officers received a report of an unconscious female at 14 Professors Row. The student eventually awoke and told the officers that she had had a couple of shots earlier. She explained that she was simply taking a nap. The student was subsequently taken to Somerville Hospital. Officers also discovered a 17-year-old female in possession of alcohol at the same address. As she was a minor, TUPD informed her parents of the situation. The minor was not a Tufts student, but was visiting someone at Tufts.

Homecoming Festivities During the homecoming football game on Sept. 27, a car fire was reported to TUPD. Fire alarms were activated at 123 Packard Avenue and 80 Professors Row, and both buildings were evacuated. When TUPD officers arrived, 20 foot high flames were seen coming out of the car, which belonged to a Tufts alum. The fire was eventually extinguished by the Somerville Fire DepartmentSomerville firefighters theorized that the fire may have been caused by an electrical issue. Two other vehicles were damaged by the fire. In addition, TUPD officers noted two kegs of beer in the evacuated house of fraternity Zeta Psi, which were confiscated. The fraternity’s party scheduled for that evening was canceled.

A Tufts alumnus was reported to TUPD as intoxicated at 2:55 p.m. during Homecoming. He was transported to Somerville Hospital.

At 9:48 p.m. a female Tufts student was seen driving an unregistered vehicle. After she parked the car on College Avenue a TUPD officer approached the student. A heated altercation broke out, and the student was arrested for disorderly conduct.

On Sept. 28 at 12:27 a.m. TUPD was alerted to the presence of a female lying in the bushes next to Latin Way. TUPD officers ascertained that she had been drinking, and she was transported to Somerville Hospital.