Visiting the Hill this week

MONDAY

Palestinian Faculty Perspectives on Gaza

Details: Assistant Professor of Anthropoloy Amahl Bishara, Lecturer of Peace and Justice Studies Sa'ed Atshan and Lecturer of Arabic Souad Zendah will speak about Gaza.

When and Where: 7:30 - 9:30 p.m., Cabot Intercultural Center, Room 304

Sponsors: Middle Eastern Studies Program, Tufts Arabic Program

TUESDAY

The Economics Department Seminar Series: Late Interventions Matter Too: The Case of College Coaching in New Hampshire

Details: Bruce Sacerdote, Richard S. Braddock 1963 Professor in Economics at Dartmouth College, will present "Late Interventions Matter Too: The Case of College Coaching in New Hampshire.”

When and Where: 4:30 - 5:45 p.m., Lincoln Filene Center, Rabb Room

Sponsor: Department of Economics

Consortium of Studies in Race, Colonialism and Diaspora (RCD) Inaugural Celebration and Plenary

Details: The Consortium of Studies in RCD will host a community celebration and interactive discussion about how intersectionality and differences help explain the study of RCD in different ways.

When and Where: 5:30 - 7:30 p.m., Sophia Gordon Hall

Sponsor: Consortium of Studies in Race, Colonialism and Diaspora

WEDNESDAY

UEP Colloquium: Working in Local Government Planning Offices

Details: Tufts Urban and Environmental Policy and Planning alumni will discuss their own professional experiences in local government planning offices.

When and Where: 12:00 - 1:15 p.m., Sophia Gordon Hall

Sponsor: Department of Urban and Environmental Policy and Planning

Ferguson as Metaphor: Racial Equality in the 21st Century

Details: This event will be a discussion of recent events in Ferguson, Mo. The panel will discuss the militarization of police departments, the state of black equality and leadership in America and how to turn Ferguson from a moment into a sustained movement.

When and Where: 7:00 - 8:30 p.m., Alumnae Hall

Sponsor: Center for the Study of Race and Democracy

THURSDAY

Aviation's Carbon Neutral Growth Goals -- How Do We Get There From Here?

Details: The event will host a discussion of the challenges and current effort to reach the goal of achieving carbon neutral growth in aviation operations starting in 2020. It will focus on issues relating to the environmental sustainability of alternative jet fuels, as well as integrated efforts across government, private industry and international governing bodies to evaluate and facilitate development and deployment of sustainable alternative jet fuels.

When and Where: 12:00 - 1:00 p.m., Lincoln Filene Center, Rabb Room

Sponsors: Environmental Studies Program, Tufts Institute of the Environment

Old and New Challenges to Humanitarian Action in Armed Conflicts

Details: Martin Dahinden, director general of the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation and designated Swiss ambassador to the U.S., will speak about challenges facing humanitarian aid in conflict zones.

When and Where: 5:00 - 8:00 p.m., Cabot ASEAN Auditorium

Sponsor: The Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy

FRIDAY

25th Anniversary Conference of the Center for South Asian and Indian Ocean Studies (CSAIOS)

Details: The CSAIOS will celebrate its 25th anniversary with talks from Amartya Sen and Sugata Bose along with panel discussions about South Asian studies.

When and Where: 4:00 - 7:30 p.m., Cabot ASEAN Auditorium

Sponsors: Department of History, Center for South Asian and Indian Ocean Studies