TCU Senate update

For a second meeting in a row, the Tufts Community Union Senate analyzed a resolution proposing a one-year pilot program that would give Tufts students a MBTA discount pass, allowing them to use the Boston-area transportation services at a reduced price. The resolution references a survey indicating that 95 percent of polled students supported such a program. The Senate passed the resolution in a 20-0-1 vote. It will be presented to the school administration for approval.

TCU President Joe Thibodeau, a senior, announced the Department of Athletics’ plans to hire a new faculty member next year to help manage the club sports program.

TCU Vice President Stephen Ruggiero, a senior, announced that the Education Policy Committee is going to review over 130 submissions nominating faculty members for the Gerald R. Gill Professor of the Year award.

The Services Committee, which met with Director of Dining and Business Services Patti Klos last week, confirmed that planning for this semester’s Cause Dinner will soon be underway and that Carmichael Dining Hall will host late-night study hours again.

During the Allocations Board report, the Senate analyzed a funding appeal from the Tufts Labor Coalition , which will be going on a trip to Columbus, Ohio, sponsored by the Student/Farmworker Alliance. The number of trip participants has decreased from eight to six, so the Senate debated whether to reevaluate its funding grant. It ultimately voted 16-4-0 to give the TLC $1,056.

GlobeMed appealed for $250 to register an additional member of its group for a national conference, adding to the five who had already been registered. The Senate honored this request by a 17-3-0 vote and also unanimously voted to give $209 to Tufts Consulting Collective.

Rose Mendelsohn, a senior announced that she is launching a poster campaign on behalf of first-generation college students as part of her venture project as a Trustee Representative. The Executive Board also announced that it has been meeting with the Office of Residential Life and Learning in hopes of creating a Student Assistance Fund. It will follow up on this project in the coming months.

The meeting was shorter than usual, but Ruggiero said it was still successful and efficient.

“As the year winds down, we are looking forward to seeing Senators complete their projects and continue the great work they have done thus far,” Ruggiero told the Daily in an email.