Students low on patience with stagnation on diversity program

Last spring, a major breakthrough in the decades-long push for a presence in the universitys curriculum of issues of identity and diversity arrived on the Hill: A new program called Critical Studies in Disparities and Diasporas (C2D), had been envisioned, was set in motion and was slated to serve as an umbrella program for an Africana studies major and minor, an Asian American studies minor and further identity-related studies.

The push for this program was largely a student-led movement, drawing support from such activist groups as Pan-African Alliance (PAA). As a result of over a year of student demands backed up by a history of Africana studies-related activism dating back to the 1970s, a working group on comparative race and ethnicity studies was created with four student representatives, as well as faculty members including Professor of Biology Francie Chew and Professor of History Peniel Joseph. The Tufts Community Union (TCU) Senate chose two student representatives, and two were appointed by PAA.

I remember being pretty optimistic at the end of the year, former TCU Senate President Tomas Garcia (A 12), who was an original member of the working group, said. I didnt think it was mission accomplished, job well donethere were clearly going to be a lot of tough conversations ahead, anda lot more discussions on the horizon but I thought that it had been set on a path that would lead somewhere, and would lead to tangible results for the students.

According to PAA co-president Jameelah Morris, the feeling of progress sparked by the creation of an Africana studies major and minor and an Asian American Studies minor has this year come to a halt, with no next step in sight after two major adminstrative and faculty contacts for the working group Chew and Dean of Arts and Sciences Joanne Berger-Sweeney stepped away from the working group and, to Morris knowledge, essentially disbanded it.

Last year was really big, as far as communication, Morris, a senior, said. There were minor issues, as far as when the working group would be able to go to faculty meetings, but for the most part communication was very open and, that hasnt continued this year.

At the beginning of last semester, Dean Berger-Sweeney told us that there wouldnt be students on the working group and that she had kind of washed her hands of the entire thing ... Unfortunately the working group has become almost dysfunctional, she added.

Berger-Sweeney declined to comment for this article, and several current and former faculty members on the working group either also declined to comment or were unavailable.

That two of working groups key faculty representatives, Joseph and Professor of Anthropology Deborah Pacini, have gone on sabbatical contributed to the complications.

Last semester was trying to get students back on the working group after we had been kicked off without notice, Morris said. The only reason we found out was because we inquired about what was going on, what was scheduled for the year, what was planned and nothing. Everybody kept giving us the run-around.

Marcy Regalado, who now serves as the community representative for the Latino Center to the Senate and the youngest original member of the working group, emphasized the importance of keeping students in the know with this massive undertaking.

Something that frustrates me is that the minute that you take a student voice out of a conversation that will affect students, you shouldnt be having that conversation, Marcy, a sophomore said. There needs to be student input regardless of what step youre at in a process.

There will be questions that [administrators] dont think about, that other students will ask them anyway, she said. So if the faculty or [administrators] are making drastic changes like bringing up a program or implementing new majors and not having student input, then thats going to set them back because theyre going to have to take it back and work on it again.

Morris said the disconnect in communication has slowed down her commitment to seeing Africana Studies become well-established before she graduates in May.

The most recent push for an Africana studies presence in the universitys curriculum was fueled by a student occupation of Ballou Hall last year, during which roughly 60 students occupied Berger-Sweeneys office to demand action.

The sit-in ended when Berger-Sweeney, Interim Provost and Senior Vice President Peggy Newell and President Anthony Monaco entered negotiations with the students and signed a set of agreements.

The compromise also promised students updates on the progress of Berger-Sweeneys five initiatives to foster diversity.

In realizing that that the umbrella program was going to happen ... we wanted to make sure that we were involved in it and that it comes out to be something important, Morris said.

Morris questioned the future of the programs even under the larger umbrella program.

Africana studies is growing, so is the Asian American studies program, but those programs are supposed to be housed under the bigger umbrella, Morris said. If the umbrella isnt functioning correctly, then whats going to happen with the smaller programs?

Senior Logan Cotton, who is currently a member of the working group, stressed the importance of a successful C2D program.

Tufts used to be kind of at the forefront of this field, Cotton said. Weve let ourselves fall way, way back to [where] a lot of our peers [are].

Whats the space where Tufts can make a lot of groundbreaking work?...I think its right here in identity studies, he added. We arent filling in the biggest issues [of] how people are forming their identities and what the implications of those identity formations are on greater systems and structures.

Although Africana studies now exists as a new, interdisciplinary program within the School of Arts and Sciences, it is far from fleshed-out, PAA co-president Tabias Wilson said.

I want to see some actual courses names. Id like to see some people being named as possible, real advisors. I mean, the only progress that Ive actually seen is a website that kind of says what the contour of a major would be, Wilson, a senior, said. What are the career options if I have an Africana Studies major? What do I do with it? What are the research options? What are the grants? So Ive not seen that type of leadership, that type of opportunity for an internship or career opportunities being listed at all, which is really nerve-wracking to me.

With so much left to accomplish, the students in the working group and their allies in PAA arent gearing up for another occupation, but theyre not going to leave for the summer with their questions unanswered.

By the end of this year, I need an answer from the faculty and admins who are at the head of this, stating whether they are going to continue or not. If theyre going to continue, what are the next two crucial steps to do it and if theyre not going to continue, why [not], Regalado said. If its financial, then explain what are the finances behind it ... have an explanation, have a forum and have a presentation about this.

There needs to be an open dialogue, she added. Id really like to hear what students think about this, because the way the admin works is to address not only the target group, but also look at how its affecting the non-target. Im a student rep this what Im here for.