TCU Senate Update | Sophomore senator steps down from TCU Senate

Sophomore Tufts Community Union (TCU) Senator Jessie Serrino announced her resignation from the Senate over the weekend, citing an unwelcoming atmosphere on the body. 

"I resigned from Senate because I disagreed with the direction in which Senate was moving," she said. "I did not feel I could adequately express the opinions and concerns that my constituents elected me to represent, so I made the best decision I could for all parties involved and stepped down."

Serrino will be replaced in a special election March 5. She leaves the Senate following her resignation from the Associate Treasurer position last month and after joining fellow sophomore Senator Darien Headen in filing papers with the Senate calling for the impeachment of TCU Treasurer Matt Roy, a sophomore. 

Serrino said she plans to stay involved with the Senate following her resignation. 

"I look forward to working with Senate further on my initiative for extending the Pass/Fail deadline, as well as other ventures off Senate such as being President of Women in Computing Sciences," she said.

She also hopes to continue discussions on opening a kosher deli on campus. 

Serrino has served on the body since her freshman year.

"In general I liked the work that I was doing, and I really regret that I have to end that," Serrino said. "But
the environment
made it very difficult for me to enjoy the work I was doing." 

In the March 5 special election to replace the newly empty Senate seat, juniors will also vote to fill the Junior Class Council Vice President of Academic Programming seat, according to TCU Elections Commission (ECOM) chair Joel Kruger.

"We hope to have a lot of candidates and a great voter turnout," Kruger, a junior, said.