Impeachment papers retracted, funds allocated for Spring Fling opening act

The two Tufts Community Union (TCU) senators who last week filed papers with the Senate calling for the impeachment of TCU Treasurer Matthew Roy, a sophomore, have withdrawn their submitted papers in the interest of avoiding disrupting the upcoming budgeting season for student groups, which begins this week. Sophomore senators Jessie Serrino and Darien Headen, who submitted the papers last week, said they have no plans to resubmit any new calls for impeachment.The Senate at last night voted to revise its bylaws to clarify rules about releasing internal documents without the consent of the proper Senate authorities. 

The Senate also voted to amend its bylaws to reflect additional language clarifying Senate procedures in the event of any future impeachment proceedings.

In the Treasurer's report, the Senate allocated $45,000 to the Concert Board to hire talent for April's Spring Fling concert. 

Concert Board has already hired the headlining band and plans to use these funds to book opening acts. 

The board has not yet released the names of the bands that will perform at the concert in April. 

The Senate allocated the student group Tufts Association of South Asians $6,984 to send its Bhangra and Tamasha dance teams to competitions at other universities. Funds were deducted based on Senate precedent against paying for hotels, then partially re-added to cover food costs.

Another student organization, Tufts Urban Policy, Planning and Prosperity, was allocated $68 from funds for new groups to cover advertisement and speaker fees for potential upcoming events.

The Tufts Student Garden was granted $625 to host a sustainability and agricultural conference at Tufts. 

The Tufts chapter of the international organization Students for Sensible Drug Policy was allocated $350 to cover speaking fees for an event tomorrow featuring drug policy reform advocate Jack Cole, the former executive director of Law Enforcement Against Prohibition.

The Senate allocated to the Tufts chapter of the American Institute of Chemical Engineers $155.10 for a career path event to increase awareness of opportunities available to students after graduation.