Four more for Obama

President Barack Obama was re-elected for a second term of office yesterday, defeating former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney with a narrow lead in critical battleground states.

After a campaign focused on reviving the economy and rebuilding America, Obama was projected to win by CNN, ABC News, NBC News and Fox News when Ohio was called blue before midnight, pushing Obama over the 270 electoral votes needed to win the election.

"We're all in this together. That's how we campaigned, and that's who we are," Obama tweeted before his victory was officially announced last night.

The victory was a result of Obama pulling ahead in close races in Ohio, Wisconsin, Colorado and Iowa to reach 303 electoral votes to Romney's 206, according to CNN reports at press time. 

Florida remained in deadlock as votes were counted throughout the night and remained undecided at press time.

Obama also won Michigan, where Romney was born and his father served as governor, and Massachusetts, where the former governor currently lives. 

Despite an advantage in electoral votes, the popular vote remained tight, as Obama won the popular vote 50 percent to 49 percent, according to CNN at press time - a margin of roughly one million votes.

Obama's victory is accompanied by key Democratic wins in Senate races across the country to maintain control of the Senate, with Democrat Elizabeth Warren defeating Republican Senator Scott Brown in Massachusetts and Democratic Representative Joe Donnelly upsetting Tea Party candidate Richard Mourdock in the Indiana Senate race.

Winning 216 seats to the Democrats' 159, the House of Representatives maintained a Republican majority, unofficial numbers projected by NBC and CNN at press time. 

According to polling averages gathered by Real Clear Politics throughout the campaign and projections leading up to Election Day, the presidential race was expected to be extremely close with a high chance of staying undecided far beyond Election night, depending on states like Ohio.

However, turnout proved to be in favor of the president, who took the clear majority in significant demographics including black, Hispanic, Asian, female and moderate voters, according to exit polls conducted by the New York Times.

The 2008 presidential election was particularly striking as a result of the enthusiasm of young voters, who chose Obama over Republican candidate John McCain by a margin of 66 percent to 32 percent, according to the Tisch College of Public Citizenship's Center for Information and Research on Civic Learning and Engagement (CIRCLE).

With over 46 million young people eligible to vote in 2012, according to CIRCLE, 60 percent of 18 to 29 year olds voted for Obama, according to New York Times exit polls.

Obama delivered his victory speech from Chicago following Romney's concession, thanking supporters at the rally for giving him the opportunity to continue to move our nation forward.

"The task of perfecting our nation moves forward. It moves forward because of you, because you reaffirmed the spirit that has triumphed over war and depression ... the belief that while each of us will pursue our own individual dreams, we are an American people and we will rise and fall together as one nation and one people," he said.

With a first term marked by Obamacare, the removal of troops from Iraq and Afghanistan, economic stimulus and auto industry bailout, Obama declared that the best is yet to come. 

He emphasized a stronger America and expressed optimism for progress in creating jobs and security for the middle class.

"I've listened to you. You've made me a better president," he said. "I return to the White House more determined and more inspired than ever about the work there is to do and the future that lies ahead." 

In a short speech presented from his headquarters after speaking to Obama on the phone, according to CNN News, Romney conceded early Wednesday morning.

"This is a time of great challenges for America, and I pray the president will be successful in guiding our nation," Romney said.

Romney stressed the critical state that the nation is in, expressing hope that the government will abandon partisan bickering and reach across the aisles.

"I'm concerned about America. This election is over, but our principles endure. I believe the principles upon which this nation is founded are the only sure guide to a resurgent economy," he said. 

Obama reflected on his last four years in office to forecast the potential for progress that a new term will bring.

"That's the country I'm so proud to lead as your president," Obama said. "Despite all the hardships we've been through, despite all the frustrations of Washington, I have never been more hopeful for our future, I have never been more hopeful for America, and I ask you to share that hope."