ISIP discussion series to relaunch this week

Two campus discussion series, "A Look Within" and "Your Voice Matters," sponsored by the Office of Intercultural and Social Identities Programs (ISIP) will have their semester debuts later this week.

The series allows students to learn from one another's experiences and express themselves, particularly those who are not part of other student organizations that already give them the chance to do so, according to Africana Center Director Katrina Moore.

"A Look Within" is designed to highlight possible career paths for students to pursue. The dialogues will showcase the research and recent publications of students and faculty in an effort to foster relationships between students and faculty.

"We're all about trying to help the undergraduate students think about a career path a little earlier than they typically do, and then talk to people who are a step ahead of them," Moore said.

The other series, "Your Voice Matters," will focus on critical issues that affect the campus community.

"I think it's good to put the cards on the table and talk about these issues we face on campus," Jessica Wilson, a junior who attended the dialogues last year, said.

The series will launch on Friday with a discussion titled "Toilet Training," featuring transgender activist Kate Bornstein.

Students can propose a discussion topic to ISIP and facilitate their own future "Your Voice Matters" event, according to Moore.

Genesis Garcia, a sophomore, participated in a dialogue last March that focused on the role of socioeconomic class in students' lives, a topic she finds important.

"I think that class is something that isn't spoken about at Tufts. It goes under the radar, especially with everyone trying to identify as middle?class," she said. "People, generally speaking, don't think about class as much, and they're not aware of how it can be a problem for people of subordinate groups."

ISIP is establishing a process of acquiring feedback about the program's strengths and weaknesses, said Moore, who urged students to help make the program better as it develops.

"We want to get the feedback on what you learn," she said. "We can apply those learnings to policy that may need to change, or funneling that information we're gathering up to the proper people to effect change, if that's what's needed."