As The Primary Source turns 30, editors take stock of its place on the Hill

Tufts may or may not actually have the predominantly liberal student body its stereotypes often note, but right?of?center views are hardly invisible on campus and have been prominent for some time - at least on paper. This year, after decades of ebbs and flows in controversy and popularity, The Primary Source, Tufts' self?proclaimed "journal of conservative thought," turns 30.

Sophomore Christopher Piraino, the publication's managing editor, explained that the conservative nature of The Primary Source is a boon for students who may feel isolated among liberal peers and professors.

"The Primary Source is really just another campus publication, focusing mostly on politics and international affairs. Being 'the journal of conservative thought,' it does have a conservative slant to it, which I feel offers even more to Tufts students, since they are not generally exposed to that side of political thought as much," Piraino said.

According to sophomore Austin Berg, the business manager for The Source, the journal also offers a space for opinions that often do not fit those of a typical Tufts student.

"The Source, nominally, is a 'journal of conservative thought,' but I think it's opened up to serve as more of an outlet for political discourse which is outside the Tufts student body's typical political frame, which is one I would describe as fairly narrow," Berg said.

The editor?in?chief of The Primary Source, senior Brianna Smith, said that the publication regularly features opinion pieces, original research, humor sections and letters to the editor, as well as anonymous commentary from members of the Tufts community.

"If you have an opinion and describe yourself as somewhere right of a typical Tufts student, we will probably print your article," Smith said.

"Most of [the articles] center around some current event topic happening around the time of publication. Usually we try for an even mix of campus, national and international news," Piraino said.

Although The Source's published views may veer right from those of many Tufts students, Piraino said the journal has gradually become more moderate.

"As a whole, while The Source is definitely right?leaning, we are nowhere near as conservative as it has been in the past," he said. "I think for most of us, and at least for me, our conservative nature shows mainly in the economic realm with beliefs in the free market and smaller government."

Smith explained that the political views of the students who are involved with The Primary Source actually vary greatly.

"I describe myself as moderate to conservative on fiscal issues, and traditionally conservative on social issues ... We have at least three people writing for us who call themselves anarchists, we have libertarians and two or three involved with Tufts Republicans," Smith said. "Some of our support staff, including the student who does the cover art, [is] liberal."

"It took me a while to realize this, but I seriously think that The Source is the most politically diverse of any campus organization," Berg said. "On a true spectrum of political ideology, which would be total state control on one extreme and anarchy on the other, we've got writers all over the map. If you're thinking in terms of the two parties ... many of the people who write and run this publication would fall under 'Republican,' but we really only have maybe one or two contributors that would describe themselves as 'socially conservative.'"

If anything, Berg added, most of The Primary Source's staffers resist typical political classifications.

"I think many of us would have trouble defining our views within a modern 'left and right' political spectrum," he said.

Although Smith said she has received a generally positive response about The Source from students this year, she has encountered some animosity.

"I think that this year has been good for us. I have had a lot of people say to me that they are really glad that The Source is here, and they like what we are doing with it this year," she said. "However, in years past, and even this year, I have had people be upset with me for being the editor of The Source."

Piraino also noted the inherent difficulties in working on a conservative publication in Tufts' political climate.

"The Source is definitely not the most well?liked publication on campus, and that does come across sometimes," he said. "I think in general the student body is supportive of our publication, but I rarely tell people that I work for The Source because I find that it has a negative connotation from either past incidents or just general dislike that The Source does not deserve."

Like Berg, Piraino refuses to define himself according to others' perceptions of his political views.

"My main problem with people's reactions is that I am automatically pigeonholed into this stereotypically Republican conservative archetype when I am anything but," he said.

Berg also commented on peer reaction to his participation in the publication.

"I don't really think I'm affected in any negative way because of my writing or association with The Source. If I tell other kids that I'm involved there's an initial negative reaction, but once I have a chance to explain my views I can't really recall a time when that negativity persisted," he said. "My statist or progressive friends read my stuff all the time and I feel supported by that, but I don't think anyone's going out of their way to pat me on the back, I guess."

The Primary Source's motto since its founding in 1982 is Veritas Sine Dolo, which means "truth without sorrow," and the provocative, unapologetic stances often taken by writers and staffers may explain in part some students' hostility toward the journal.

Controversy has long dogged The Primary Source - and its critics. University administrators imposed sanctions on the publication during the 2006?2007 academic year for content deemed harassing and hostility?creating, a decision later cited by the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education officials last year when naming Tufts among the worst offenders of student rights and free speech.

Both Piraino and Smith said a major value of The Primary Source is that it offers commentary and perspectives not normally expressed within the Tufts community.

"It is vital to have a vehicle for different opinions ... I think often at Tufts it's easy for minority opinions to get lost in the general consensus, and it's important for them to be visible," Smith said. "In The Source we often have discussions and debates, and it's important to show even within one paper there can be disagreements."

"I think The Source is important because it offers viewpoints that are not usually seen at Tufts," Piraino said. "Beyond being a conservative publication, I think The Source's most valuable offering is that we continuously question the actions of the administration and students instead of just going along with the tide."

"The Source is definitely not afraid to publish differing opinions on issues as long as there is a cogent argument to be had," he added.

For Berg, The Primary Source provides a way to escape from the stringency of mainstream American politics, he said.

"Frankly, it offers an outlet for people who are tired of the bulls??t dichotomy of American politics and refuse to be filed into one of those camps. I think that this mentality is what makes for what I would argue is the most critical, unbiased political writing at Tufts," Berg said. "That's why I write for it, at least. I would go crazy if I couldn't vent my frustration through my writing for this publication."