Culture Shock: Montreal

Is it realistic for Tufts students to make an international weekend getaway? If you're going to Montreal, it's not only feasible, but the city's numerous attractions and restaurants will also make it an unforgettable weekend.

Montreal, named "Canada's Cultural Capital" by Monocle Magazine, is divided into several different neighborhoods, including the city's downtown, the Old Montreal historical district, Chinatown and the Latin Quarter.

Old Montreal contains many attractions, including the Notre−Dame de Montreal Basilica, the Montreal City Hall and the Montreal Science Centre. Nearly all of the architecture and cobbled streets in Old Montreal have been maintained or restored and often feature horse−drawn carriages, painting a picturesque scene.

Instead of just falling into tourist traps, visitors should make sure to explore both the famous parts of Montreal as well as the city's hidden treasures.

"There were three things that I did that were special," junior Natalie Salk said. "During the day, we went to the Biodome. The Biodome was awesome, and a great day activity for people of every age."

The Biodome allows visitors to walk through replicas of four ecosystems from the Americas, consisting of a South American rainforest, the North American wilderness, an estuary habitat modeled on the Gulf of Saint Lawrence and a polar area that is divided into the Arctic and Antarctic.

"The animals even got super close to you," Salk said. "Some of them would even walk around when you walked."

Besides its sightseeing destinations, Montreal also boasts an impressive collection of restaurants. Students recommended finding restaurants off the beaten path.

"My friends and I went to Beautys Luncheonette, which is this really cool old−fashioned diner," junior Monica Stadecker said. "We were walking through the Old Quarter, and there was a restaurant that from the front looked really small and cheap, but a guy came out and invited us in. It opened up to a beautiful outdoor terrace with brick walls covered in ivy, and we had tons of delicious food, including poutine."

Daniel Hurwit (LA '09), a current Fletcher Student, also had a dining recommendation.

"Crucial to any Montreal trip is the pre−going out fuel from Boustan on Crescent Street. It's unbelievably delicious Lebanese cuisine — authentic, reasonably priced and delicious," Hurwit said. "The French cuisine is exquisite, but be careful if you're not used to it. It's so rich it will make you pass out … my favorite dish was called duck in a can, but I needed a nap after eating it."

In addition to its many delicious restaurants, Hurwit said that Montreal has a great bar scene, which is a major draw for college students.

"You've got to hit up Crescent Street," Hurwit said. "There's a good number of bars, also René Lévesque [Boulevard], Saint Laurent [Boulevard] and Rue Saint Jacques … basically it's all permeated by an extremely fun vibe, partially because of the fact that the drinking age is 18, which opens up three more years' worth of people who are all enjoying themselves."

He also recommended that visitors strive to get an authentic Montreal experience.

"There are classy places like Peel Pub that get accolades and a lot of press, but they're not the true Montreal experience," Hurwit said. "You want to find a Montreal that you can't find in Boston, and that's the mix of couches, live music, a good bar selection, and, quite honestly, drinking games — like the table top version of shuffleboard at Brutopia," he said.

Brutopia Brewpub, located in downtown Montreal, boasts three bars on three floors, as well as three terraces for the milder months. On top of full−flavored house−made, imported and micro−brewed draft beers, both finger foods and sandwiches are available. Although Brutopia is not really off the beaten path, both Hurwit and Salk spoke highly of it.

"Brutopia is great for a pre−raging activity," Salk said. "If you go you should try out their raspberry beer. It was delicious. The shuffleboards were also really fun."

The fact that French is the city's official language is not the only difference between Montreal and Boston. In Montreal, clubbing as well as drinking is available to anyone above the age of 18, which proved to be a memorable treat to under−21 Tufts students.

"My friends and I went over the summer after high school when we were 18, and we went to Saint Laurent which has all the bars and clubs," Stadecker said. "We were toured around by my friend's friend who is from the area. We went to Tokyo [Bar], which had a rooftop terrace and a bar."

Salk named Tokyo Bar as her third and final highlight, as well.

"At night, Tokyo [Bar] was awesome. We went clubbing there and the music was good," Salk said. "There were two dance floors, and a lot of people who are very eager to dance with you."

In all, Montreal can provide a fun destination for Tufts students looking to get away from campus for a weekend.

"A huge part of the trip is how you approach the journey and what you do during the journey," Hurwit said. "Go in with a plan. Make sure to exchange your Canadian money before you leave, and be respectful at the border, but you'll be surprised at how laid−back people are."