Our Day' documentary to showcase student life

Exposure, a photojournalism, documentary studies and human rights student group sponsored by the Institute for Global Leadership (IGL), is working to produce a documentary called "Our Day" that will highlight the diverse experiences of the Tufts community through one-minute video submissions.

The Exposure team reached out to students, faculty and staff, asking them to submit one-minute videos of themselves on one day, March 1. The Exposure team will then compile the footage into a 15- to 30-minute documentary, according to Exposure co-leader Ian MacLellan.

"I hope that it will be a reflection of the diversity of experiences at Tufts," MacLellan, a senior, said. "It's easy to stereotype a college student as wake up, do some homework and then go party. But a lot else happens in a day. People are involved in so many different groups and events and research."

University affiliates, including alumni and students studying abroad, were invited to submit a one-minute video by emailing the video file to Exposure or by uploading it to the group's digital Dropbox, Exposure co-leader and senior Amy Connors explained. 

According to MacLellan, the project was inspired by the National Geographic and YouTube film "Life in a Day" (2011), which documented the day July 24, 2010 through video submissions from thousands of people all over the world. After viewing the film, freshman Hadley Green, a member of Exposure, proposed the idea of capturing a day at Tufts by soliciting footage from campus community members. 

"We asked the Exposure community at a meeting if they would want to do something like that, and they were really receptive to it," Green said. "We got a group of people to work on it more closely, and it took off."

"We want to make it very democratic and egalitarian, so you could record on your phone, your laptop or any device," she said.

To spread the word about the documentary, team members made a short trailer which is available for viewing on YouTube or the Exposure website, MacLellan explained. They also called for contributions by posting fliers around campus and advertising via various social media outlets.

While all members of Exposure will have an opportunity to screen the submissions and select footage for the documentary, a core group of about seven students will preside over the publication process, Green said.

"We're going to try to make it a collaborative team effort," Connors said.

Members of Exposure maintained a high level of involvement in the project so far, MacLellan said, adding that many have helped with assembling the trailer, marketing the concept of the film and brainstorming ideas.

Green anticipates that the documentary will track the day from morning to evening through the perspectives of various people. 

"We're going to have to put it in some sequential order, like an arc-type thing," Green said. "We might do it by subject too, so videos that have to do with music go together, or videos that have to do with studying go together." 

MacLellan expects the editing process to last several weeks, with the documentary completed by the end of the semester. They hope to hold screenings in Barnum Hall and to post the film online for free viewing.

He expressed optimism about the project, commenting that it will be an exciting learning experience for Exposure.

"People will be able to learn skills like editing, creating time lapses and creating movies, and then basically show off Tufts at the same time," MacLellan said. "It's a combination of education and pride."