Where you read it first | Tuesday, May 14, 2024

Brian Williams to speak at this year's Edward R. Murrow Forum in April

NBC News anchor Brian Williams will address the Tufts community at the seventh annual Edward R. Murrow Forum on Issues in Journalism, Julie Dobrow, director of the Communications and Media Studies (CMS) Program at Tufts, told the Daily.

"Brian Williams is a journalist who blends intelligence, integrity and savvy," Dobrow said. "His work at MSNBC, NBC and now ‘Rock Center with Brian Williams' has been lauded by many."

The event will take place at noon on April 23 in Distler Hall and will be free and open to the public, according to Dobrow.

Since Williams took over as anchor of "NBC Nightly News" in 2004, the program has retained its standing as the top−watched news show in the United States.

He also hosts "Rock Center," the network's newest primetime newsmagazine that launched late last year.

Throughout his career, Williams has received numerous awards for his extensive coverage of world affairs. His speech in April will focus on the 2012 election, Dobrow said.

The Murrow Forum is named after broadcaster Edward R. Murrow, one of the most celebrated journalists in history. This year's forum marks the 104th anniversary of his birth.

"Williams' interviewing prowess, his insightful analysis and his perspective are certainly traits that Ed Murrow would have greatly respected," Dobrow said.