TCU Senate Update

The Tufts Community Union (TCU) Senate at their meeting last night passed a resolution and allocated money to student groups.

In a 25−3−0 vote, the Senate passed a resolution calling for the university to join United for Undergraduate Socio−Economic Diversity (U/FUSED), a network of universities dedicated to financially supporting current students, promoting awareness of socioeconomic diversity on campus and establishing a permanent need−blind admissions policy. U/FUSED was founded in 2010 and currently has chapters at eight universities, including Duke University and Washington University in St. Louis. There are currently no universities in the Boston area in this network.

The Senate appropriated $30,991 to the Tufts Culinary Society to bring a celebrity chef to the Hill to present a cooking demonstration and class.

The body allocated $7,500 to the Tufts Republicans for the group to bring in a higher profile speaker than the group has hosted in the past. Four event grant winners received grants. B.E.A.T.s received $700 for a show on April 20 to which they expect to draw around 300 attendees. The Korean Students Association received $2,000 to bring in a renowned filmmaker from North Korea to speak at an event on campus. Catholic Community at Tufts and the Protestant Students Association received $350 to co−host a Mardi Gras Party. The Alliance Linking Leaders in Education and the Services (ALLIES) and Tufts Global China Connection received $5,959 for their upcoming China−US Symposium.