Alison Williams and Sarah Gottlieb | Generation SEX

Lately we've heard quite a large amount of people discussing an issue that even the intelligent and resourceful students of Tufts University can't seem to figure out. What is that issue, you may ask? Some important political argument? Yesterday's email concerning the consequences of participating in NQR? Why, for some people, class registration never seems to go well? None of the above. Instead, we're setting out to address something the Tufts campus needs to set straight: pubic hair.

Although the word "pubic" may freak you out, pubic hair itself shouldn't be avoided just because you think it's gross. It's normal. Everyone has it. As for how to manage it, that's generally a matter of opinion. Some people like keeping themselves squeaky clean and hairless down there, while others manage their body hair without getting rid of all of it. Whatever your preference, there are a lot of different ways to deal with your pubic hair.

Shaving: Many people are hesitant to shave down there because your skin can become extremely irritated, so here are some tricks to make shaving easier and less painful. If your hair is long, make sure to trim it before you shave — this will stop your razor from becoming too blunt or clogged too quickly. Most convenience stores carry trimming supplies, which are convenient if you'd rather just stop after trimming some of your hair off. Additionally, invest in a good-quality razor rather than a cheap one, as a design with more blades or moisturizers will help you in the long run. It's better to shave down there if you're in a hot shower or tub, as pubic hair is thick and takes a while to soften. If you think you're shaving correctly and your skin still keeps getting irritated, stop by the nearest CVS and pick up some lotion — there are many different brands that make products just for your skin down there!

Waxing: Unlike with shaving, it's better to keep your skim extremely dry before waxing. Make sure to test a small area of your skin before waxing a large area, as some people's skin can react badly to wax. If you're waxing at home, make sure that the wax doesn't become too hot and burn your skin. When pulling the wax off, pull back rapidly rather than slowly so you don't irritate your skin. Just as with shaving, there are tons of products made to heal your skin after waxing, so check them out. Also, waxing is something that you can get done professionally. Although it's more expensive, some people think it's better to leave these things to someone who definitely knows what he or she is doing.

Depilatories: Products like Nair or Veet that chemically remove hair from the skin. Many products recommend that you avoid using these in large quantities around the pubic area — if you're looking to remove hair in a large area down there, this might not be your best bet. However, it can be useful for touch-ups or small amounts of hair. Each product comes with different warnings and instructions, so check out various types and find one that's right for you.

Some other options include electrolysis and laser treatment, which are both fairly expensive and not the most popular for college students.

Bottom line: be nice to your pubic hair, whether you're a guy or a girl. While women are most likely to keep it well-groomed down there, men can also benefit from a little "manscaping," right?

As for personal preference, we asked a lot of people and couldn't come to a general conclusion. Everyone feels differently about it, so don't sweat — you shouldn't feel pressured to tame your pubic hair in a certain way. We just have one request: please stay away from the vajazzling.

Alison Williams is a sophomore majoring in English, and Sarah Gottlieb is a sophomore majoring in psychology. Williams can be reached at Alison.Williams@tufts.edu and Gottlieb can be reached at Sarah.Gottlieb@tufts.edu.