Alison Williams and Sarah Gottlieb | Generation SEX

So it's time for that awkward conversation: To wrap it or not to wrap it? Everyone has different preferences and opinions about the condom. Some Jumbos use them regularly, swearing by them in their war against sexually transmitted infections (STIs) and babies. But others make excuses. Don't they make it difficult to feel anything? They ruin the mood. They don't let me feel close enough to you. I'm too lazy. Aren't they super-expensive? If you think sex without a condom is no big thang, check yoself before you infect yoself. They aren't just for preventing baby Jumbos. No one wants dirty junk.

Whatever (or whomever) you're doing, condoms are important. A common misconception is that condoms are only important because they prevent pregnancy. Sure, condoms are the most widespread method of contraception, but they're also important for preventing many STIs. Condoms help prevent the transmission of genital herpes, syphilis, gonorrhea, chlamydia, genital human papillomavirus and HIV/AIDS in both men and women. You may roll your eyes and assume that everyone knows this, but we've both heard a lot of people around this campus ask these questions about condoms.

One general assumption for women is that the pill (or other forms of contraception, such as injections), cancel out the need to worry about condoms. This may hold true for people in exclusive hookups where both partners have been tested for STIs, but it doesn't apply to most of the general population. Let's face it: A lot of people get drunk, go out and have sex without using the proper protection. While intoxicated, most people either forget to use condoms or don't notice when they break or fall off. Even if you're using another form of contraception, you could be exposed to a number of STIs. You may think that everyone on this campus is clean, but that's simply not the case. Many STIs won't show symptoms for the first few weeks, if at all. No matter who you're hooking up with, condoms provide important protection that can prevent you from developing some serious diseases later on. Sex is great, but it's way better when you're safe.

Additionally, you can contract many STIs orally. For oral protection, pick up some dental dams at the closest CVS. These are designed to prevent the exchange of bodily fluids that can transmit infections. In fact, you can make your own dental dam by using Saran wrap or simply unrolling a condom, cutting the tip off and cutting down one side. You learn something new every day, right?

There are many brands of condoms out there, including Trojan, Durex and LifeStyles. There are even female condoms. While you can find reviews of the top condom brands out there, it's really a personal preference as to which condoms are the best. One of the most popular brands is Sir Richard's, the company that makes the plaid condoms you may have seen at Health Service recently. Why are they fantastic? For each box of condoms bought, the company actually donates condoms to countries in need. Their tagline is "Doing good never felt better." We'll leave it up to you to decide, but we think that's pretty amazing.

Most condoms are made of latex, but what if you're allergic? There are many non-latex options when it comes to condoms. The most common non-latex condoms are made of polyurethane, and some are made of other synthetic materials such as polyisoprene. Unfortunately, condoms made of synthetic material are usually more expensive. Start saving up your spare change, because condoms definitely aren't something you should cut out of your budget if you're sexually active.

Have questions? Worried that you've contracted something? Head on over to Health Service where you can get confidential STI testing. And remember: Just wear it.

--

Alison Williams is a sophomore majoring in English and Sarah Gottlieb is a sophomore majoring in psychology. Williams can be reached at Alison.Williams@tufts.edu and Gottlieb can be reached at Sarah.Gottlieb@tufts.edu.