Matt and Kim to headline Cage Rage concert

The indie−rock band Matt and Kim will headline this month's second annual Cage Rage Concert, Programming Board co−chair senior Leo Greenberg confirmed yesterday.

Electro−pop duo Timeflies, comprised of Tufts alumni Rob Resnick (E '11) and Cal Shapiro (LA '11), will open the event on Oct. 22.

This year's concert, to be held in Carzo Cage, will have more of a rock vibe than last year's show, which featured indie group Passion Pit, and hip−hop artists K.Flay and Black Joe Lewis & the Honeybears, Concert Board co−chair Marc Turner said.

In keeping with Programming Board's recent move toward online ticketing, this year's Cage Rage tickets will be available for purchase at the TuftsTickets.com website, Greenberg said.

Tickets will become available to students on Oct. 14 at noon online for $15 per ID. Guest tickets will be available the next day for $20. Students will be allowed to purchase two guest tickets per ID, according to Turner, a senior.

The exact number of tickets that will be available has not yet been determined, though Turner anticipates that it will be between 1,700 and 2,000.

Matt and Kim's reputation for strong live performances contributed to Concert Board's decision to book them, Turner said.

"We think they put on a great live show, very high energy," he said. "We think they will fit with the cage rage atmosphere."

"We wanted to go with more of a rock feel for the show, so that's why Matt and Kim were chosen," he added.

The contract with the band was finalized over the summer, while the contract with Timeflies was completed this past week, according to Turner.

He anticipates that the alumni duo will be popular with their alma mater.

"We think for an opener they'll bring a really big crowd. They're Tufts alums, and their music is very good," he said.

"We've heard really positive responses [to the two bands]," he added.

Last fall's first annual Cage Rage replaced previous years' separate fall hip−hop and rock concerts. Concert Board decided last year to combine the two events to allow for the booking of bigger, more expensive acts, Greenberg said.

This year's event will also feature a new guest limit, allowing only two guests per student, as opposed to last year's five.

Formed in 2004, the dance−punk duo Matt and Kim released their third album "Sidewalks" last year and have gained popularity for their unique indie rock sound. Their music, backed up by only keyboard and drums, has been featured on such popular TV shows as "Community" and "Entourage," and their video for "Lessons Learned" earned an MTV VMA for Breakthrough Video in 2009.

Tufts grads Resnick and Shapiro have gained popularity since graduating last year. Their debut album, "The Scotch Tape" (2011), reached the iTunes top 10 albums a mere 24 hours after its release.

The group is looking forward to its return to campus later this month, Timeflies Band Manager Jared Glick (LA '11) said in an email.

"We had an awesome time at [T]ufts and after being on the road and playing at other schools we're excited to be back to play for both fans and friends."

--

Correction: The Oct. 6 "Matt and Kim to headline Cage Rage concert" article incorrectly stated the event's price and ticketing information. Tickets are $15 for students and will only be available online at TuftsTickets.com