Somerville introduces new ticket laws

The City of Somerville last week began issuing $50 parking tickets to vehicles with expired registrations and inspections.

Previously, Somerville police had given violators a one-week warning in order to give them time to renew expired registration or inspection, according to Somerville's Director of Traffic and Parking Matthew Dias.

Violators who did not renew their registration or inspection would then be fined $100, have their car towed and get points deducted from their licenses by the Somerville Police Department, according to Dias.

The new law allows parking inspectors to issue $50 tickets without a warning, according to Dias.

Several cities and towns in Massachusetts, including Boston, Brookline, Revere, Cambridge, Worcester and Lynn issue similar tickets for expired registration and inspections, according to Dias.

"This is a far better alternative in my mind," Dias said. "I'd much rather get a $50 violation, run inside my house [and] renew my registration online ... If I get caught by a state trooper or a City of Somerville cop, it's going to be a lot worse."

Dias explained that cars with expired registrations and inspections are technically parked illegally.

"Renewing registration and inspection stickers is something people have to do on time," said Deputy Director of Communications for the City of Somerville Jackie Rossetti.

Michael Meehan, Somerville's director of communications, called this new ticket "easily avoidable."

A car's registration is issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) and lasts for two years, Meehan said.

"Anyone can renew their registration online 24 hours a day, seven days a week by going to [the Massachusetts Department of Transportation's] website," Dias explained.

Inspection, which can be done at any car service station, ensures that a car is running properly and must be renewed every year, according to Meehan.

The money generated from tickets will go into Somerville's general fund, which helps parks, roads and ultimately citizens, Dias said.

The law also eliminated the possibility of having one's car towed if the fine is paid, Dias added.

Meehan said that out-of-state students who bring their cars to campus must check with the local DMV in order to ensure that their vehicles' registration and inspection are valid in Massachusetts.