Moving ahead, together: a response to the call for a department of Africana studies

In fall 2010, still green behind the ears, I became aware that many students supported establishing a department of Africana studies with a fully resourced undergraduate major. I heard repeatedly that other institutions, such as Brown and Harvard, had strong and vibrant departments. But Tufts did not; indeed we were not growing, we were not renowned. In fact, our current minor was under-resourced. What did that say about Tufts' commitment to academic diversity and inclusion?

Coming to Tufts with considerable experience in academia, I knew that such questions, as tough as they are, are asked by every generation of students. (I asked them, also, in the 1970s and 1980s.) These are issues every university must address. At the same time, being new to Tufts, I didn't understand the current landscape. But, I was convinced that if there were serious inadequacies in our curriculum, we should address them. I was equally convinced if we create something new, it should reflect the progress in the academy, not replicate the past.

When a focus emerged, it was based on months of study by faculty members internal and external to Tufts, students and administrators who sat on an Africana Task Force; on conversations with more than 25 faculty members, mostly from Tufts but also with some representatives of cutting-edge programs at other institutions; on countless hours of discussions with the Arts and Sciences Steering Committee and my academic deans; and on consultation with other deans and the academic leadership of the university.

It became clear that while the curricular needs for Africana studies are critical, they did not exist in isolation. I became intrigued by the growing number of academic programs that offer comparative approaches to studying race, ethnicity and identity, rather than focusing exclusively on a single race or identity. I recognized the strength of Tufts' current American studies program and of trends in transnational studies — a field which analyzes social interconnections in globalization — that have been embraced by a cohort of Tufts faculty. And I learned that at several other universities, when given the option, more undergraduates major in comparative race and ethnicity rather than in a specific race or regional studies. In other words, I found multiple glimpses of the future already present in the academy and at Tufts.

My proposal is to create a curricular program — supported by hiring new faculty members — on race, ethnicity, and identity. The program would house Africana studies, but also has the potential to include American, Latino, Asian American and gender studies, as well as possibly multiple majors and minors. Now, I must offer a few words of humility. Not a single one of these academic areas falls into my area of expertise. I am a neuroscientist. Similarly, these are not the areas in which our smart and impassioned students are expert. Any new curricular entity must ultimately be designed and executed by faculty members with expertise in particular disciplines; individuals who are steeped in current research which, in turn, creates the new trends. Then, any proposal must be presented to the Arts and Sciences faculty who must subsequently vote to endorse the new entity. So, although we have made progress, there is more work to come.

I hope my actions thus far demonstrate that addressing these issues is a priority for me. But I actually think, given the increasing racial, socioeconomic and religious diversity in the United States, this subject will likely affect all of you.

Our community is passionate about these issues, but we must translate those passions into specific, strategic and feasible actions. I believe that Tufts has the opportunity to be a curricular and research leader in the field of race, ethnicity and identity. The only question in my mind is whether the community can work together, think together and perhaps compromise together to turn these passions into exciting academic opportunities. It is my hope and indeed my expectation, that we can.

--

Joanne Berger-Sweeney is the dean of the School of Arts and Sciences.