Construction commences on new athletics facility

A groundbreaking ceremony yesterday afternoon for the new Steve Tisch Sports and Fitness Center brought together students, faculty and alumni to kick off construction of the new complex.

The athletic center, a three−story, 42,000−square−foot complex, will be erected between the Gantcher Center and Cousens Gym and is planned for completion by Fall 2012, Vice President for Operations Dick Reynolds told the Daily in March.

The construction is part of a three−phase revamp of the Athletic Department's facilities that began with a $5 million renovation of Cousens Gym in 2008.

Varney Hintlian (A '72), chairman of the Board of Overseers for Athletics, opened the ceremony, calling yesterday a "very special day" at Tufts.

"It's one of those milestone days that is a culmination of a tremendous amount of hard work, creativity and support by a lot of folks who came together in their own unique ways to make the project for groundbreaking today a reality," Hintlian said.

Athletics Director Bill Gehling (A '74) in a speech explained the various benefits of the new building.

"For our varsity athletes, it will provide an expanded fitness center, treatment in the state−of−the−art sports medicine facility, which is 50 percent larger than the present one, as well as new first−class team locker rooms," he said. "General students, faculty and staff will have access to a brand−new fitness center which is entirely dedicated to non−varsity users."

A new multipurpose room will host yoga, Pilates and aerobics classes, Gehling said. The entrance will improve, too, he added; currently, the main door is sandwiched in a narrow space beside Cousens Gym.

"We will finally have a suitable entrance to this facility that clearly states athletics, health and fitness matter at Tufts," he said.

University President Lawrence Bacow also delivered remarks at the event and stressed the importance of athletics to a complete Tufts education.

"When I welcome freshmen, I often talk about the fact that some of the best teachers they will encounter at Tufts are people who do not have ‘professor' in their title; some of the most valuable lessons, they will learn from others — lessons about teamwork and leadership, and the importance of preparation and competition," he said. "That's what we teach through athletics, and that is why this project is so important."

The university finally received a zoning clearance to begin construction as of Feb. 11, Kim Scanlon, secretary to Medford's Board of Appeals told the Daily.

Senior Dawson Joyce−Mendive, co−captain of the women's volleyball team, said in a speech that the new entrance, meeting and video room, and home and visiting team locker rooms will prove extremely useful for athletes.

"The impact this new athletic facility will have on my fellow athletes is extraordinary," she said. "The expanded space, improved quantity and quality of equipment, and opportunities to try new classes and workshops will make the fitness center more accessible and enable all Jumbos to lead a well−balanced life."

Sophomore Jason Kerstein, a midfielder on the men's lacrosse team and part of the Student Athlete Advisory Committee, said the new athletic complex will provide great opportunities for student athletes.

"I think it's going to be great to have expanded facilities," Kerstein told the Daily, "especially with the new fitness center for … recreational athletes, and also in opening up space for the varsity fitness center."

Gehling thanked University President Lawrence Bacow and his wife Adele Fleet Bacow for backing the project and for their continuous support for Jumbos athletics.

"You two have championed athletic health and fitness since you arrived in 2000," he told the Bacows during his remarks. "You've led by example by modeling healthy lifestyles."

Bacow joked that Adele, who is an avid swimmer, was the key driving force behind this project by advocating tirelessly for a new pool. He also acknowledged the individuals who have provided the funds and effort to see this project through.

"One of the things you learn in a marathon is that marathons are far more mental exercises … than they are physical challenges … what gets you over the finish line is just being able to gut it out and push through," he said. "There were times when this project seemed that way, but we've seen that there was a fabulous team behind this project."

University President−elect Anthony Monaco, who is in town for a few weeks, attended the event and a number of speakers remarked that the project would be completed under his watch. Brent Yarnell contributed reporting to this article.