Task force to examine Africana studies

Claiming that a department might not be the most prudent avenue for Africana studies at Tufts, Dean of Arts and Sciences Joanne Berger−Sweeney last month announced the creation of a task force with hopes to bring in expert opinions on a comprehensive approach to the discipline.

The task force's establishment comes as a response to last semester's appeal for the creation of an Africana studies department and major, spearheaded by the Pan−African Alliance (PAA), which cited demand for an Africana studies program dating back to 1968. The Tufts Community Union (TCU) Senate later in the fall passed a resolution supporting the appeal.

Berger−Sweeney in her Feb. 17 announcement said that the appeal brought up the issue of academic diversity and inclusion and that she decided to convene the task force to give the matter the careful attention it deserves.

The task force will assess Tufts' current academic resources, devise possible models of Africana studies curricula, recommend strategies that will "encourage curricular cohesion and suggest curricular change that will serve the students," and assess Africana studies in the context of other academic offerings at Tufts, according to the announcement.

"The goal is to take a serious look at what it would mean to have Africana studies at Tufts," Africana Center Director Katrina Moore said. "I think it sends a strong message to the students that the dean thinks this is important and needs to be looked into. It's an opportunity for the school to take an important step to address [students'] concerns."

Berger−Sweeney does not think, however, that creating an Africana studies department is necessary in order to address the issues of academic inclusion put forward by the TCU Senate and the PAA. Proponents of establishing a department had argued that it would grant greater legitimacy to Africana studies at Tufts.

Berger−Sweeney said she would prefer creating a system that breaks down barriers between departments rather than creating new departments altogether.

"I understand the issues and questions that were brought forward, but my first preference would not be to solve them by creating a department," she told the Daily in an in−depth interview. "In addition to being a formulized structure that doesn't suit the academy very well, [departments] take quite a bit of time to establish, and if you really want a faster impact, there are other ways to … create other kinds of perhaps more flexible structures."

Berger−Sweeney said that the task force's findings, expected by the end of this semester, will factor heavily in her decision.

"The reason that I'm having the task force take up the work immediately and completing its task by the end of this semester is to at least have the opportunity to consider [a department] as soon as possible," she said. "More information sooner allows me the possibility to act sooner rather than later."

Wellesley Professor Emeritus Wilbur Rich will chair the task force, comprised of two Tufts undergraduate students, seven Tufts faculty members and administrators and three faculty members from Dartmouth College, Harvard University and Brown University.

Berger−Sweeney explained that she chose Rich as chair to provide the task force with a new perspective on African Diaspora studies at Tufts. Rich has experience working at academic institutions that have employed a variety of academic structures, including a department, to approach the issue of Africana studies, according to Berger−Sweeney.

"There weren't many people on campus I could identify that had that perspective — that understood both the perspective from a place that had a department and a place that didn't — because the people here have only been here without a department," Berger−Sweeney, who until last year served as an administrator at Wellesley, said. "I thought it was critical … considering there has been more than 20 years of history on the issue to have an external perspective," Berger−Sweeney said.

Moore praised the selection.

"I think it's an opportunity to have an independent and fresh view," Moore said. "I think it's a great idea."

Moore said that strengthening the Africana studies program would benefit all Tufts students by fostering academic diversity and inclusion. Director of Public Relations Kim Thurler agreed with this sentiment.

"Intellectual diversity is one of the hallmarks of a great college or university," Thurler said in an e−mail to the Daily. "Advances in knowledge arise from willingness to ask questions and freely exchange varying ideas with civility and respect. The world is not only a more interesting place but also a better place because of intellectual diversity."