Prominent atheist Sam Harris to round off Freethought Week tonight

Freethought Week, a four−day−long celebration of moral and philosophical inquiry, concludes this evening with a lecture featuring noted atheist author Sam Harris.

Harris, one of the nation's most outspoken atheist scholars, is the author of "Letter to a Christian Nation" (2006) and "The End of Faith" (2005). He will discuss his most recent book, "The Moral Landscape: How Science Can Determine Human Values."

The talk will take place tonight at 7:30 p.m. in Cohen Auditorium. A reception at the Fung House, located at 48 Professors Row, will follow.

"Sam Harris is what some people call one of the four horsemen of the apocalypse," sophomore Bruce Wang, the Tufts Freethought Society (TFS) public relations representative, said. "He has written some of the best books arguing against certain tenets of religion and is viewed as an icon by many atheists."

The Center for the Humanities at Tufts (CHAT) and the Office of Undergraduate Education are sponsoring the lecture, which Dean of Academic Affairs for Arts and Sciences James Glaser helped bring to campus.

Glaser said that the university took advantage of Harris's current book tour as an opportunity to bring him to speak at Tufts.

"We got involved because he is one of the most well−known advocates for freethought in the media today," TFS President David Johnson said. "The idea that we could help bring him to campus was very exciting for us."

Glaser said the university does not take any particular stance on atheism, but rather aims to sponsor speakers from a variety of backgrounds.

"Those who agree with him will enjoy the talk," Glaser told the Daily in an e−mail. "Those who disagree should find what he says challenging and thought−provoking."

In his new book, Harris argues that people can use science instead of religion to address questions of human morality, according to Johnson, a senior.

"I hope that people take the claim that science has some bearing on human morality and ethics more seriously," Johnson said. "Sam Harris is very convincing, so I suspect some people might take the view more seriously after they hear him speak."

Glaser echoed this sentiment. "He's a brilliant speaker who represents an important point of view that educated people should know about," he said.

Freethought Week began on Monday with a lecture by Daniel Dennett, professor of philosophy and co−director of the Center for Cognitive Studies, entitled "What Should Replace Religion?"

"Professor Dennett's lecture was definitely a success," Johnson said. "We had people sitting in extra chairs in the back in Cohen Auditorium."

Johnson outlined TFS's three goals for Freethought Week: organize events that serve the interest of club members, gain support for the creation of a humanist chaplain position, and educate students about freethought and what it means to be a non−religious college student in America today.

"Our biggest focus this semester is on establishing a humanist chaplain so we can expand the on−campus services we can offer and provide legitimacy to our position," Johnson said. "We want someone who non−religious people feel that they can go to on campus."

TFS also hosted a discussion entitled "Confessions of a College Atheist" in the Mayer Campus Center on Tuesday. At the event, students gathered signatures for a petition advocating for a humanist chaplaincy.

At another Freethought Week event, Michael De Dora, executive director of the Center for Inquiry in New York City, and Brian Glenney, professor of philosophy at Gordon College, yesterday hosted a discussion entitled "The Present and Future Role of Religion."

"The week has been going very well so far, and I am really looking forward to what should be an incredibly interesting lecture by Sam Harris," Johnson said.

CHAT Director Jonathan Wilson said that he hopes Harris's lecture will foster intellectual debate on campus.

"I am very happy to co−sponsor the event because we are very happy to sponsor all intellectual endeavors on this campus," Wilson said. "He is a well−known figure and a kind of poster boy for the new atheism, so I am sure it is going to be a very exciting and interesting event."

Wang was optimistic about tonight's event, citing Harris's reputation and unique lecture topic as significant draws for students. "We definitely expect a large crowd for what should be a great event," he said.