Where you read it first | Wednesday, May 8, 2024

Students study abroad - at Tufts

On move−in day for freshmen, Margaux Roberge, Irène Fossé and Pierre−André Clément, three French students from Sciences Po, a university in Paris that has an official exchange program with Tufts, arrived at Tufts to begin their year−long studies on American soil. Looking to improve their English, explore the United States and enjoy the American college experience, the trio said they selected Tufts because of its picturesque campus and proximity to Boston.

"I think that Tufts offers the best balance, with the campus and being close to Boston," Roberge said. "Weather−wise, it's pretty awesome. In September, we went to the beach, and in February, we were skiing. The opportunity to take a class at [The Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy] was an incentive as well."

After almost eight months on the hill, they say that they are still thrilled to be here.

"In general, everything is so great, it's hard to find something bad," Fossé said.

This year, there are five exchange students from France and about 20 to 25 total exchange students studying at Tufts — both undergraduate and graduate — from other universities around the globe, including the University of Chile, the University of Ghana, the University of Hong Kong and the Autonomous University of Madrid, according to Sheila Bayne, the associate dean of Programs Abroad

Bayne said that exchange students' academic advisors typically give her great feedback.

"These students are usually the best in their class," Bayne said. "We usually get excellent students."

Exchange students are guaranteed on−campus housing. For Clément, Roberge and Fossé, living in a dorm — Lewis Hall for Clément and Roberge, and Carmichael Hall for Fossé — has been a new and exciting experience. In France, very few students live at school, particularly those in Paris. All three said that save for the occasional inconvenience of living with rowdy freshmen, they have loved the dorm experience and are pleased with the quality of the dining halls.

"The first week, we went crazy over the dining hall," Roberge said. "We had unlimited for like a week. After a week, we were already sick of it. But it's still good."

French colleges also don't offer the wide range of activities available at American schools. "[Tufts is like] an all−inclusive resort," Roberge said.

"In France, we are all commuting," Clément said. "Our school is just a place where you can take classes, nothing more."

Fossé added that she has loved the Tufts environment and had a hard time readjusting to life at home over winter break.

"When I went back to France for winter break, it was really hard to be around old people again," Fossé said. "Even my professors here seem young."

Clément, Fossé and Roberge have taken full advantage of the opportunities on campus, ranging from running the Naked Quad Run to attending the musical "Kiss Me, Kate" to participating in the International Club's "Parade of Nations" show.

They have also grown accustomed to American television. Though Roberge said that she is still irritated by the number of commercials, Clément said that he enjoys them.

"I'm a very big fan now," Clément said. "During commercials, it's OK, I'll do something, or I'll turn on mtvU."

His favorite shows include "American Idol," "Glee" and "16 and Pregnant."

The students' adjustments to American culture have not been seamless. Clément first witnessed provocative American dancing at Fall Ball and still hasn't gotten used to the sight.

"Everyone was so drunk before coming, and making love on the dance floor," Clément said. "I don't really like it."

He said that he was also stunned by his first experience at a fraternity party. While looking to use a restroom, he was privy to a sight that American frat−party attendees are used to.

"There was someone peeing in the shower, peeing in the sink," Clément said. "I myself was peeing in the toilet."

Overall, however, the exchange students said that they enjoy the social life on campus and have been pleased with Tufts students' welcoming nature.

"I've discovered that Americans are really welcoming and really nice," Fossé said.

Just as Tufts students travel often while studying abroad, the three have visited different cities across the United States. Over winter break, Fossé and Clément travelled to New York; Washington, D.C.; Atlanta; Memphis; and New Orleans.

The group said that they most enjoyed New Orleans.

"It was so different — just a great experience," Fossé said.

Clément said that travelling around the country has changed his conception of the United States.

"When you are living in France, you see the U.S. as one," Clément said. "But when you live here, you see that all the areas are so different. And every part of the U.S. is so proud of its identity."

After finals end, they are planning a month−long trip that will take them to Chicago, Las Vegas, California, Portland and Seattle. When asked whether they will miss America when they return home, they all said that it is a certainty.

"I think we will have a down period for a while," Roberge said. "When people will ask us how America was, it will be impossible to sum up."

Next year, in an effort to more quickly integrate exchange students into the Tufts community, the International Center plans to implement a buddy system whereby Jumbos who studied abroad will be paired with their programs' exchange students.

Bayne says that when exchange students arrive every year, she is reminded of why their presence on campus is important.

"You look around the room and hear from them and see they're from all over the world," Bayne said. "It's really very inspiring. It's great to see who's coming to us, and it's a reflection of where our own students are going."