Bacow discusses DREAM act with Kerry, Brown

University President Lawrence Bacow yesterday met with Sen. John Kerry (D−Mass) and Sen. Scott Brown (R−Mass) in Washington, D.C. to discuss, among other issues relevant to Tufts, the Development, Relief and Education for Alien Minors (DREAM) Act.

Yesterday's series of meetings with Kerry and Brown were especially significant given the recent surge in publicity about the DREAM Act, part of which would increase undocumented immigrant students' access to higher education.

The meetings included other members of the Massachusetts Congressional delegation and occur periodically as a venue for Tufts to weigh in on consequential issues, according to Director of Public Relations Kim Thurler.

Bacow on April 14 signed letters to Kerry and Brown endorsing the bill, making public his support of the DREAM Act, which would amend the Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act of 1996.

The DREAM Act would give undocumented immigrant students who moved to the United States before the age of 16 the opportunity to enroll in an institution of higher education or enlist in the U.S. Military.

It would also grant eligible students temporary permanent residency and the eventual option of applying for U.S. citizenship.

"I was happy to lend my support," Bacow said in an e−mail to the Daily. "Many very talented young people are in this country illegally through no fault of their own. All they did was follow their parents. This bill (which enjoys bi−partisan support — Sen. John McCain [R−Ariz.] is a co−sponsor) would give these students a path to citizenship."

In the letters, Bacow cited Tufts' commitment to community involvement as a basis for his support.

"As an institution of higher education that seeks to prepare students for a life of active citizenship in an increasingly interdependent world, Tufts University supports the DREAM Act's goals of diversity and increased access to higher education," Bacow said in the letter.

Kerry, who has supported the DREAM Act since its original introduction in Congress in 2007, applauded Bacow's support for the bill.

"I'm grateful to President Bacow for recognizing the need for reform and for his leadership standing up for Massachusetts students," Kerry said in an e−mail to the Daily.

"I've supported the DREAM Act and comprehensive immigration reform for years because it's the right thing to do," Kerry said. "These would−be American students and soldiers embody the inspirational spirit of countless immigrants that came before them."

Brown has not yet taken an official public stance on the DREAM Act. He has, however, agreed to meet in the coming weeks with a representative from Student Immigrant Movement, a group advocating for the bill that organized a sit−in protest at Brown's office and an online petition calling for the meeting.

"Senator Brown is currently studying and reviewing information on the DREAM Act," Brown's Press Secretary Colin Reed said in an e−mail to the Daily.

Brown has in the past opposed tax−funded programs for illegal immigrants, such as in−state tuition breaks for undocumented students.

Kerry believes that preventing students who have grown up in the United States from attending college or enlisting in the military represents a loss to the country and is a reflection of current flawed immigration policy.

"With DREAM Act kids specifically, we're talking about hard−working, talented young people who want to contribute to the country they love, but they're denied the opportunity to attend college or serve in our military because they must remain in the shadows of a broken immigration system," Kerry said.

Freshman Suzanne Lis, a member of the Somerville Movement of Dreamers, first brought the issue to the attention of the Tufts community in a Feb. 23 op−ed in the Daily about the DREAM Act and immigration reform.

Lis then drafted the letter in support of the DREAM Act for Bacow to sign, she said, after communicating with Vice President of University Relations Mary Jeka.

"The DREAM Act is really appropriate to Tufts, especially considering the fact that Tufts is in Somerville, which is really rich in diversity and has a lot of undocumented immigrants," Lis said.

While aware that reforming the immigration system is a long−term process, Lis said that winning university presidents' support for the bill is an important step toward its success.

"Although this is one step toward the passage of the DREAM Act and immigration reform in this country, we are still grateful for President Bacow's support for the DREAM Act and promoting Tufts' goals of active citizenship and diversity," Lis said.