Where you read it first | Tuesday, May 14, 2024

Tufts participation in Healthy Minds Study aims to enhance knowledge of mental health issues on campus

Chances are, if a Tufts student has not gotten an e−mail asking him or her to partake in a mental health survey over the course of the last month, that student knows someone who has. With students' mental health increasingly becoming a priority on college campuses, the university is once again taking the initiative by being a participant school in the 2010 Healthy Minds Study (HMS).

The HMS is an annual study that examines mental health issues among college students across the nation. Its purpose is to estimate the prevalence of mental health issues such as anxiety, depression and eating disorders in college environments.

Daniel Eisenberg, an assistant professor at the University of Michigan's School of Public Health, is directing the study. This year there are 28 participating schools across the nation. By taking part in this national study, the HMS provides Tufts with information about how its students compare with other schools participating in this year's survey.

"We hope this survey will enhance our understanding of mental health concerns for undergraduate and graduate students in general," Marilyn Downs, the supervising clinician and prevention director of Tufts Counseling and Mental Health Service (CMHS) and the Tufts principal investigator for the survey, said.

Another purpose of the HMS is to study stigma and how it affects students' attitudes toward mental health. "We would like to better understand the needs of students who are at risk or struggling with mental health problems but who have not sought help so that we might tailor our services or outreach to better address their needs and increase access to services," Downs said.

The survey, which takes approximately 15 minutes to complete, has been sent out by e−mail to a random sample of 4,000 undergraduate and graduate Tufts students. All information is completely confidential, and students' responses cannot be linked to their names or any other identifying data.

Students selected to participate in the study have received several e−mails that are intended to induce students to fill out the survey. They start with questions such as, "Did you know that nearly half of college students report that at least once in the past year they have felt so depressed that they had difficulty functioning?" and "Have you ever wondered whether your fellow students are as happy as they sometimes seem on the surface?"

Sophomore Alexa Firmenich explained that when she got the survey she was immediately interested in the subject. "As I completed the survey it made me wonder if I actually have all the problems it listed," she said. "I feel like if you were depressed and completed the survey you would get even more depressed, but I guess these feelings that arise are what this survey is studying."

Freshman Scotty Shuldiner was one Tufts student who did not receive an invite to partake in the survey but heard about it from his friends. "Mental health is a serious problem in the U.S., so I think we should definitely be addressing it in colleges," he said. "I would have taken a look at the survey if I would have been selected."

Tufts participated in this study in 2007 as well. "The rationale for our participation was to gain a better understanding of the particular mental health needs of Tufts students in order to inform the continued development of programs and resources that promote the mental health of all our students," Downs said.

The study also reviews how mental health issues may affect other aspects of a student ‘s life, such as his or her academic performance and the frequency of his or her use of medication and counseling services.

"Understanding the mental health needs of students is integral to promoting their academic and personal success," Downs said. "Developmental, social and environmental factors pose a constellation of challenges that can precipitate or exacerbate mental health problems in this population. Mental health issues affect not only quality of life, but also academic, social and occupational outcomes."

In 2007, only 1,000 undergraduates were asked to complete the survey, and the response rate was 52.5 percent. This year, the number of students has increased, giving Tufts a broader sense of mental health issues on campus. "We are excited to be administering the expanded 2010 survey, which will give us current information that can inform the enhancement of our programs and services," Downs said.

As for student and faculty access to the survey's processed data, it is still not clear how it will be handled. "We will be reviewing the data extensively in order to determine how best to disseminate the information," Downs said. "Our 2007 Healthy Minds data has been utilized many times in presentations to Tufts students, faculty and staff."

As a student, Firmenich commented that she would be interested in looking at the study's results. "People generally seem quite happy here and I would be interested in knowing if this is really true and if [during] midterm and final seasons things change," she said.

HMS participants across the country are encouraged to take part in this survey by rewarding them with the possibility of winning one of 10 $250 cash prizes or one of three $500 prizes. Tufts students will also be entered to win an iPod Touch or one of 10 $25 gift certificates to the campus bookstore if they complete the survey.