At think tank launch, Swett stresses student activism

National student-run think tank the Roosevelt Institute last night officially launched its new Tufts chapter at an event featuring Lecturer of Political Science Katrina Swett.

Aimed at shaping a progressive national and foreign policy, the Roosevelt Institute encourages students to engage in policy research and writing and delivers their proposals to policy makers and advocacy groups.

Sophomore Julie Kalt, administrative director of the Tufts chapter, said that the organization will "give students the opportunity to solve real world problems and get their policy proposals published" in Tufts publications as well as in the Roosevelt Institute publication, 10 Ideas.  According to Kalt, this would allow students to be part of activism that produces concrete results.

"We want to make activism and academic interests more tangible for Tufts students and give them a legitimate outlet for their ideas," she said. "A lot of students just do activism and that's amazing, but we want students to see the other side.  When you marry direct action and policy writing, you can make meaningful and sustainable change."

According to Kalt, the Tufts chapter will equip participants to create progressive policy papers by hosting writing workshops taught by Tufts professors and progressive community leaders, including Massachusetts State Sen. Patricia Jehlen (D-Somerville).

Swett, who is also running for New Hampshire's second district congressional seat, was one of the speakers at the launch event. She noted the importance and difficulty of translating ideas into reality, and commended the Roosevelt Institute for encouraging "young people to take their half-formed ideas, giving them the opportunity to refine those ideas into meaningful policy and perhaps developing them into concrete action."

Praising the Roosevelt Institute's marriage of grassroots activism and policy writing, she stressed the importance of "knowing those on whose behalf you lead."

Swett alluded to the fact that politics often interferes with policy, making finding an effective way to realize plans a crucial part of good governance. 

She noted the current struggle the Obama administration is having with this issue, acknowledging that "the qualities it takes to succeed in politics are not always the same as those required to succeed in government."

Another aspect of good governance that Swett highlighted was the ability to communicate effectively with the public about complex issues. 

"Those interested in policy should note that those who create understandable and controlled narrative to the public will form effective policy," she said. 

Kalt explained that the national organization operates based on six different "policy centers," ranging from economic development to the environment. The Tufts chapter, however, will just focus on defense and diplomacy, education and equal justice. 

The notion of a progressive think tank can mean a lot of different things, according to Kalt.  "An Arkansas chapter would produce different ideas than a Tufts chapter would," she said.  

While the Roosevelt Institute is geared toward progressive policy change, it adheres to being non-partisan and welcomes students from many different disciplines, according to sophomore Leslie Ogden, defense and diplomacy policy director for the Tufts chapter.

"[The Tufts chapter] wants to be open to everyone so that a biology major can come in and write about the environment and an economics major can write about taxes," she said.

Ogden said that current members of the Tufts chapter started research last fall, focusing their efforts on meeting the Feb. 1 deadline for the institute's publication and building a base of support on campus. 

Students produced short, two- page policy proposals on topics ranging from making Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority fares free to improving government care for Iraq and Afghanistan war veterans suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder.  

Ogden herself traveled to Sri Lanka through the Education for Public Inquiry and International Citizenship program, and produced a proposal on reconciliation and justice in the aftermath of its 26-year civil war.

She added that the Tufts chapter hopes to eventually teach an Experimental College class on policy writing.