Bundle up: Students learn to adjust to the New England cold

Making it through the winter months is difficult for every Jumbo, but students who hail from warmer climates face the additional obstacle of transitioning from sunshine 12 months a year to living in the harsh New England chill.

Freshman Alexandra Geada, a Miami native, still has trouble with the Boston area's weather. "I have been used to a warm and humid climate my whole life," she said. "I had to get used to not wearing sandals everywhere. That is a year−round thing in Miami."

Sophomore Amalia Toro, a native of Colombia, also had a hard time adjusting to the cold. "[I hate] the feeling you get when you walk out of a restaurant, and you [are] warm and well−fed, but then you have to be exposed to the miserable cold and the wind that feels like someone is sticking needles in your face," Toro said.

For international students, weather can be an aspect of the choice to come to school in the New England area; some international students, however, said that they did not consider the weather to be a crucial factor when making decisions about college.

"Weather was only like the fourth or fifth factor I was taking into consideration," said sophomore Alisha Sett, who is from India.

The weather can be such a shock for foreign students that it can sometimes interfere with mood and even mental health, ranging from mild annoyance to severe depression. Sophomore Omar El Gazayerli, from Egypt, found the cold affecting his lifestyle. "People tend to get lazy because of the cold," he said. "You become more reluctant to go out and see your friends, but I guess it forces you to work."

According to Marilyn Downs, director of outreach for Tufts Counseling and Mental Health Service (CMHS), the most common reaction to the weather is developing Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD). "Some of the potential indicators of SAD are depressed mood, sleep or appetite disturbance, low energy or fatigue, decreased motivation or concentration, or social isolation, to name a few," she said.

"We are always glad to see students who are having difficulties with possible SAD or other concerns," Downs added. "We would suggest that a student make an appointment at CMHS to have an evaluation and determine what might be most helpful for their particular situation."

Furthermore, different groups on campus attempt to help students adjust to life in the winter. The International Center, for instance, has a tradition in which they collect winter clothes from faculty and staff, and give them out to those international students who are not well equipped for the winter. The Office of Residential Life and Learning and resident assistants are also available if students have trouble with their heaters, or even if they need tips to last through the winter.

Students that have never faced the winter find that tips from students from the local area can come in handy. Sett said that the most useful advice she has received has been to layer clothing.

"If you keep the ears and feet warm, you're halfway there," she said. "You will also need to wear more clothing than others. Do not be embarrassed to walk around looking three times your size. You'll be happier warm," Sett said.

Sett, after three full semesters as a Tufts student, still hasn't quite adjusted to the temperature. "I am not used to it yet. I'm from Bombay — what do you expect?"

Some warm weather natives noted that the cold winter does have its high points, like skiing and playing in the snow.

"Coming from a place that has heavy rain, the snow is absolutely adorable," Geada said. "I don't know how people don't like it."