Location and prices determine where Jumbos shop for groceries

When the holiday season approaches, many students eagerly look forward to one of the most appealing aspects of their time off: home-cooked meals. But when Tufts students are at school and don't have a meal plan, where do they typically go to get their food?

Eating out or ordering pizza might be good for a night or two, but upperclassmen living off campus have had to learn to negotiate the abundant choices of grocery stores in the area in an attempt to find the best food for their money.

For some, the decision of where to shop depends on the quality and origins of the food sold there. According to senior Brenna Heintz, Whole Foods' emphasis on quality and on organic and free trade goods compensates for its higher price point.

"I prefer Whole Foods because I feel better about the quality of the food there, and overall it is a nicer shopping experience. I am willing to pay more for the quality and variety -- and it's not that much more expensive than Shaw's. I don't mind spending more money at a business that I feel good supporting," Heintz said.

While Whole Foods may cost more on average than other area grocery stores, it is also very close to the uphill portion of campus, rendering it a convenient place to shop.

Still, its proximity to campus hasn't won over everyone.

"Whole Foods is too expensive," junior Jeremy Wei said. "I look at the supermarket fliers we get in the mail and make a decision based on that. Generally, I go to Shaw's or Market Basket."

Shaw's, located near the Porter Square T station, is about a 30-minute walk from campus. For students without cars, Shaw's is convenient for purchasing a few items, but carrying heavy bags of groceries for 30 minutes can be tiresome, especially during inclement weather. Shaw's can, however, be a good option for students who choose to take the bus.

"The 96 bus circles most of campus and drops you off right in front of Shaw's," junior Jackson Dolan said. "I have no meal plan and no points, so I go grocery shopping once a week. I typically go to Shaw's, because I have a Shaw's card and it's less expensive than Whole Foods."

Senior Cole Archambault said that he prefers the produce of Market Basket to that of Shaw's.

"I prefer to shop at Market Basket -- the extra distance doesn't bother me because I ride my bike and it's only five minutes farther than Shaw's. The majority of what I buy is produce, and I find the quality of produce to be far superior to Shaw's at a fraction of the price," Archambault said.

Off-campus students who have cars usually have the most freedom to choose where to shop for food, as even students who ride their bikes are limited to purchasing only what can fit into a backpack. That's why the students in senior Serena Chang's house have decided to take an alternate approach; they rent a ZipCar to get to Market Basket.

"The price difference between Shaw's and Market Basket makes splitting the money for the car worth it," Chang said.

But according to senior Courtney Morrissey, Market Basket's competitive prices and proximity to campus do come with a downside: It's crowded.

"Market Basket on a Sunday afternoon is absolute insanity," Morrissey said. Senior Maris Mann-Stadt said that despite the higher prices, she would rather stick to Shaw's than brave the seeming anarchy of the Market Basket aisles.

"I like Shaw's because when I go to the grocery store, the customer service is better and I don't bump into people when I walk down the aisles," Mann-Stadt said.

In addition to a calm shopping experience, knowing where to get certain items can be crucial to the decision of where to shop.

"I switch off between Shaw's and Foodmaster, but I don't like Foodmaster because its layout is just not conducive to my shopping needs," senior Sophie Cedola said.

Another popular option for students is Trader Joe's, provided that they have the time and means to drive to Cambridge or the new branch near Alewife.

"I like Trader Joe's because it's the same quality as Whole Foods, but without the middleman," senior Amy Dora said.

Other Jumbos, such as senior David Gainsboro, eschew shopping at traditional grocery stores altogether.

"I try to buy all my produce at farmers markets," Gainsboro said. "Never [do I shop] at Shaw's because it's overpriced and full of everyone I know."

For students who are either completely unwilling to travel or need to grab something in a rush, the on-campus store Jumbo Express is another option. But Jumbo Express is more expensive than its off-campus counterparts, as its location allows the store to maintain high prices on everyday items, and some students think those high prices are unfair.

"Jumbo Express is to purchasing food as the Bastille was to the French Revolution," senior Gabriel Frumkin said.