Social justice workshop offers leadership training

Students and administrators met in Dowling Hall this Saturday for Social Justice 101, a new diversity training session in which participants discussed issues of personal identity and social justice leadership.

The new initiative is part of a year-long effort designed to offer a forum for students to discuss diversity-related issues and differences of perspective as they relate to the campus community and society at large.

"The purpose of this initiative is to integrate traditional leadership concepts with principles of social justice," Director of the LGBT Center Tom Bourdon said.

Diane Goodman (LA '80), an independent consultant for social justice and diversity issues, led the seminar, which consisted primarily of discussion groups and self-reflection exercises. Students and staff addressed a series of diversity and social justice issues that affect the Tufts community, including racism, sexism, classism, homophobia and others, according to Goodman.

Goodman said that the workshop strove to spark discussion in areas often considered taboo or touchy. "Some of the things [participants] talked about were pushing their own comfort boundaries," she told the Daily.

Staff from Tufts' six cultural centers played an integral role in the workshop, which was organized by the Division of Student Affairs, according to Bourdon.

"All the directors of the cultural centers are a part of this," Bourdon said. "Social justice is a big part of the work that we are already doing, every day, in our roles."

Student Affairs plans to host multiple workshops throughout the year, although specific dates have not been determined yet. In the spring, follow-up workshops will be offered for students who have completed Social Justice 101, according to Goodman.

The university may eventually offer a certificate for students who have completed a certain amount of workshops, although the specifics of this have not yet been finalized, Goodman said.

Bourdon emphasized that Saturday's workshop was designed to appeal to students outside of Tufts' cultural and minority communities.

"This is really important for majority students — people who might not feel like they're a minority, but people who want to learn more about themselves," Bourdon said.

Freshman Matthew Connor, who attended the workshop, said that participants discussed the fact that more students should take the opportunity to learn from the campus' culture houses.

"Culture houses are completely open to everyone. It's definitely something people don't take advantage of," he said.

Freshman Lauren Hollender, who participated in the session, said that the diversity of the participants made for a helpful experience.

"I just learned a lot listening to the perspectives of the other students, because it seemed like everyone was different in their own way," Hollender said.

Bourdon thought the workshop would appeal to the student body, noting that Tufts students have shown a particular interest in addressing issues of social justice.

"Students are already doing the work and wanting to learn more, and we're trying to provide an outlet for that," Bourdon said. "I think we see that when students show up for community conversation, or when we have leaders who say that they realized that we have multiple dimensions of identity and they want to know how to consider people from all different backgrounds in their leadership roles."

Goodman believed that students demonstrated their dedication over the weekend. "The students came out on a Saturday afternoon in the rain to be here, so they're a committed group," she said.

Hollender said she gained a new perspective on social justice from her peers. "There were just things that I never really think of on a daily basis, like my security or safety from oppression or discrimination, but other people had experienced that," she said.

She added the workshop offered valuable insight that the group could draw from in other environments.

"Everyone there seems to be really committed to it and definitely wanted to carry things out and take the lessons outside of the room," said Hollender. "I think it'll be cool to do what we can to promote it on campus in our own small ways."

Connor said that he hopes more students will participate in Social Justice 101 in the future. "The more people going and the more people learning, the better," he said.