Some students suffer from gambling addictions

The activity that put Las Vegas and Atlantic City on the map is quickly spreading to universities across America. While gambling is discounted as a form of entertainment by profit-seeking casinos, many university officials are discovering that, for some students, placing bets is no longer just a game — it is a debilitating addiction.

Marc Lefkowitz, director of training for the California Council on Problem Gambling, believes that there are many reasons for the prevalence of gambling addictions among college students.

"A major problem is that there's tremendous access to gambling," Lefkowitz said. "Not only are students getting their first credit cards, but they also have access to Internet gambling."

Sophomore Shir Livne believes that it could be easy for students to fuel their gambling addictions by misusing their credit cards.

"With a credit card, it could be pretty hard to realize how much money is being spent," she said.

While Internet casinos provide a venue for compulsive gamblers, the way society views gambling can also foster addiction. From ESPN's broadcasting of "The World Series of Poker" to Lady Gaga's "Poker Face," the media has taken strides to glamorize the activity.

"Gambling has become socially acceptable," Lefkowitz said. "While everyone is told ‘Don't do drugs and don't drink,' most people don't know the possible dangers associated with gambling. Even though 90 percent of the people that gamble aren't going to get in trouble, it's the 10 percent that do."

The roughly 10 percent of gamblers who become addicted are not just seeking riches. According to Lefkowitz, for compulsive gamblers, "it's not about the money; it's about the way it makes them feel. When they're winning they're happy, but when they're losing, they don't get out of bed."

According to the University of New Hampshire's Health Services Web site, nearly five percent of college students can be classified as having a gambling addiction.

Shaun Engstrom, a sophomore, isn't surprised by this finding. "We're all looking for something to do," Engstrom said. "Some people get a thrill from taking risks."

Unfortunately, the risks compulsive gamblers take aren't just financial. According to a study conducted in 2003 by Richard LaBrie and Howard Shaffer of Harvard University, college students who gamble weekly are also very likely to engage in various reckless behaviors, most notably excess alcohol consumption.

Despite the consequences of compulsive gambling, many universities do not prohibit gambling. According to the National Center for Responsible Gaming, 78 percent of universities permit gambling. Currently, Tufts University is one of them.

However, according to the Student Affairs Web site, Tufts abides by provisions set forth by the towns of Somerville and Medford that prohibit gambling for money unless a permit is obtained.

Fortunately, there is hope for those looking to break from their gambling addictions. According to Lefkowitz, family members and friends play a critical role in initiating the rehabilitation process. "One little conversation will go a long way," Lefkowitz said.