Senate elects student Trustee representatives

The Tufts Community Union (TCU) Senate selected three new trustee representatives in closed-door elections held Sunday night.

Former TCU President Duncan Pickard, Adam Weldai and Emily Maretsky, all seniors, will serve as representatives from the Senate to three trustee committees.

Pickard will serve on the University Advancement Committee. He had previously declared his intention to run for the position in April while he was still TCU president. The Senate elected Weldai, last year's Elections Commission (ECOM) chair, as administration and finance representative, while Maretsky, who is an editor for the Daily, will serve as representative to the Academic Affairs Committee.

Trustee representatives serve as official liaisons of the Senate to the trustee committees. They sit on the Senate but do not have a vote in Senate decisions.

Each candidate prepared a brief statement and answered questions from senators. Following their statements, the Senate discussed the candidates and cast their votes in a closed-door meeting.

ECOM, which coordinates campus-wide voting on all senatorial elections, oversaw the elections.

In all, eight candidates vied for the three open positions. TCU President Brandon Rattiner, a senior, called the field of candidates very strong. "I thought all of [the candidates] were immensely talented," he said.

TCU Historian Tomas Valdes, a junior, was pleased with the outcome of the elections. "As [they are] extremely qualified people, I have full confidence that all three will be excellent representatives to the trustees," Valdes said.

Rattiner agreed. "The three of them showed exceptional skills and an understanding of what the Senate does and what they need to do as representatives," he said. "I think they're going to be tremendous."